We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

budget accommodation near Merced Amtrak station

Which Merced hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
budget accommodation near Merced Amtrak station

Hi

Anyone knows if there is any budget accommodation near Merced Amtrak station?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: budget accommodation near Merced Amtrak station

Try Vagabond Inn tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32706-d249597-… It is about one and one-half mile walk about 30 minutes. We have found Vagabond to be a good budget chain, but have not stayed in Merced.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
57,073 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: budget accommodation near Merced Amtrak station

I would strongly recommend that you take a taxi to a motel on "Motel Row" ~ either Motel Drive or Childs Avenue.

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,691 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: budget accommodation near Merced Amtrak station

Just out of curiosity, are you asking this in connection with taking Amtrak then YARTS up to Yosemite?

Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: budget accommodation near Merced Amtrak station

wanderer, even if the OP wasn't I am. My daughter and a group of her college friends are spending a month in CA without a car. I'm trying to figure out how they might enjoy Yosemite, but everything within the park is already booked. So, it seems arriving in Merced by Amtrak, getting a hotel in Merced, and then taking YARTS to Yosemite is their best bet. Would you agree? Or any specific recommendations?

Edited: 27 May 2010, 05:41
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
57,073 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: budget accommodation near Merced Amtrak station

turkce_bilmiyorum ~ yes, the group can get a motel in Merced, then use YARTS to travel to Yosemite. But I hope they aren't planning to use Merced as a base to visit Yosemite for an extended period of time. Better options include

• checking the Yosemite accommodations website every day just after 7am or calling (the people are in Fresno) anytime to see if there are cancellations

• Yosemite Bug in Midpines ~ dorm rooms (like a hostel) are fairly cheap

Mariposa has lots of motels

Hopefully your daughter & her friends are visiting Yosemite during the week and not on the weekend.

Other Yosemite questions either you or your daughter have should be posted on the Yosemite forum. (There is a great Top Questions about Yosemite article about lodging there.)

USA
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: budget accommodation near Merced Amtrak station

Lots of motels along motel drive. It runs along Hwy 99. Those cater to Yosemite bound tourists. The cheap places away from the freeway should be avoided. They tend to attract a clientle who like to exercise by walking.

7. Re: budget accommodation near Merced Amtrak station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Merced