We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possibly Moving To Merced?

Germantown...
2 posts
Save Topic
Possibly Moving To Merced?

Hello,

I have a job opportunity in Merced, CA and am thinking about moving there. I currently live in Wisconsin. I have been doing my research on the community and so far it seems nice. I know this is a very open ended question, But I was curious if anyone wanted to tell me in there own words about Merced? This is obviously a huge move for me and i am open to all opinions. I am trying to weigh my options and this may help a little bit. Thank you in advance.

Also, I am big into fishing and any info on fishing in the area or how far do i have to drive to go fishing, would be appreciated as well.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,608 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Possibly Moving To Merced?

Merced is a town in the CA central valley, which is a big agricultural area. The town is one of the bigger towns in the area, but not a big city. It is a fairly inexpensive town by CA standards - housing is fairly cheap, but wages are lower than average too. Unemployment in valley towns is generally higher than in cities and along the coast - Merced included. It isn't an exciting place or anything, and it isn't particularly prosperous, but it is a decent place to live. The crime rate is kind of high for a town of this size though - it definitely isn't Mayberry or anything. That is probably a direct result of the high unemployment rate and lower wages compared with other areas. You'll find this throughout the central valley though. Weather is pretty decent - it is HOT during the summer, but winters are just chilly and wet, not snowy.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Possibly Moving To Merced?

I don't know what state income tax rates are like in Wisconsin but I would do a comparison. I've known people who transferred to California from NJ with a nice raise and it all went (and more) in taxes. Same with property taxes if you intend on buying.

Edited: 01 November 2013, 17:58
Nevada
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Possibly Moving To Merced?

< I will also send this to you by PM in the event this thread gets shut down. >

I know a bit about Merced. We live about one hour north of Merced through the puckie brush and oak studded hillsides.

The good news about Merced is that it has good freeway connections so you can travel easily to the bigger cities, ie, Sacramento, San Francisco, Los Angeles (about 4 hours to LA). The closest airport is Fresno, however, the closest international airport is Sacramento -- unless the Oakland airport is a bit closer. So maybe Merced is *airport challenged* by international standards.

But, Merced is fairly close to recreation including Yosemite National Park -- just 90 minutes or so east of Merced and you are at the front door of Yosemite! Merced is also close to the Livermore Wine region (west of Merced), and also to the historic Mother Lode gold rush towns and cute villages that dot California Highway 49 (east of Merced).

I don't know exactly how far is the closest fishing but the Merced River flows through the countryside about 15 miles north of Merced near the hamlet of Snelling, CA. It is really pretty there -- more of a wide stream. There are deeper waters for fishing, and lakes and reservoirs east of Snelling, CA.

You would probably want to have your own boat for fishing and also for water sports -- boating is HUGE in this area. There is Lake McClure east of Snelling but I have never been there. I live near Lake Tulloch which is about 40 miles north of Merced. Lake Tulloch is a very pretty lake -- just not at a high elevation, but it has pretty bluffs and rock outcroppings and pretty oak studded hills surrounding the lake. Lake Don Pedro is closer to Merced but it doesn't seem as pretty, to my way of thinking. Higher elevation lakes (5,000+ ft elev) would be something like Pinecrest Lake east on Highway 108 about 90 minutes from Merced without tourist traffic (1 hour to Sonora plus 30 more minutes east of Sonora).

Post #1 mentioned the weather and yes, it is HOT in the summers and (hopefully) WET and yes, CHILLY in the winters -- but that is the central valley of California that comprises the agricultural belt. Remember, there is no wild type of weather here -- no tornados, no hurricaines, and earthquakes are very extremely rare in central California. If buying a house, probably want to get something that would not be too near a river that could flood if too much rain were to happen -- remember, there are many many reservoirs upstream from Merced that are managed. (Don't depend upon any river levees, in other words, to keep you high and dry if and when they need to let out a bunch of water from the reservoirs. We aren't anywhere near that.)

There is a fairly new campus for University of California. http://www.ucmerced.edu/

Gallo Center For The Arts www.GalloArts.org is something like 40 miles north of Merced in Modesto, CA. We see shows there from time to time.

There are some very nice residential neighborhoods north of Merced and east of *G* Street (that I know of). There are probably others (that I don't know of).

I would say it is definitely worth a trip to explore the area. Hopefully, you will have some extra days to explore the general area. I would focus on parts EAST of Merced -- Lake McClure area, Sonora, Murphys, Lake Tulloch/Copperopolis, Yosemite -- places like that. Travel north on *G* Street through Merced. When it ends at a T junction, go east to Snelling 1 mile, and you can take it from there.

Good luck!

Nevada
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Possibly Moving To Merced?

I should clarify -- Speaking of reservoir management and rivers getting too full, I should have said:

We aren't anywhere near that IN TERMS OF RAINFALL.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,608 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Possibly Moving To Merced?

WhiteDahlia - From NJ? Everybody I know in NJ pays out the nose for property taxes compared to what we pay here. Their rate is higher than ours and their property gets reassessed periodically without caps, so their taxes go up all the time.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,604 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Possibly Moving To Merced?

TripAdvisor usually closes "moving" threads, if so, City Data Forums are great.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/california/

Personally I love Merced. I've been there a good bit for different sports events and visiting friends who live in the area.

It sort of a gateway to the Sierras and a wonderful place for access to all kinds of recreational activity including fishing and hunting.

Edited: 01 November 2013, 19:03
Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Possibly Moving To Merced?

Merced is not such a bad place to live. Like any city, it has nice areas and some not so nice. This is a big agriculture area and if you enjoy home gardening at all, you will be super happy. I am still getting fresh tomatoes at this time of the year.

The fishing climate will be much different over Wis. There are many large lakes close by for bass.....trout fishing in the Sierra Nevada mountains and deep sea fishing about 2 hours away.

There is not much to do in Merced, but it is a day trip from many areas- Yosemite and the Sierra Nevada mountains, San Francisco and the coast.

3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Possibly Moving To Merced?

My family and I have moved from Europe to Merced a little bit over two months ago. So far, I really, really like it. Before I moved I read some bad stuff about Merced that I do not seem to find an explanation or a cause. For example, it is said that the crime is high but that might be in the really southern part of Merced, otherwise it is peaceful and quite.

People are super friendly, like I have not met in many other places (I have lived in several already, and for quite a long time in the East Coast). The ambiance of the schools is superb. Staff are really nice and kind. Merced has at walking distance lots of things you might need in our everyday life (nice schools, places to shop, parks, sport centers, etc). The entire city is full of beautiful bike paths. Even though California is experience a dry out period, people and the community take good care of the yards and the parks, and everything looks beautiful.

Merced is a very convenient place to live if you do not want to spend all your salary in housing, like it happens in the Bay Area, but you still want to live close to also cool but expensive places such as Monterey, Santa Cruz, San Francisco.

We love nature and Merced is the best place to live to be close to the Sierras and Yosemite National Park, San Luis wildlife Refuge and many more....

The city is improving by the minute thanks to UC Merced and Merced College. Education is getting better and better....

3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Possibly Moving To Merced?

My family and I have moved from Europe to Merced a little bit over two months ago. So far, I really, really like it. Before I moved I read some bad stuff about Merced that I do not seem to find an explanation or a cause. For example, it is said that the crime is high but that might be in the really southern part of Merced, otherwise it is peaceful and quite.

People are super friendly, like I have not met in many other places (I have lived in several already, and for quite a long time in the East Coast). The ambiance of the schools is superb. Staff are really nice and kind. Merced has at walking distance lots of things you might need in our everyday life (nice schools, places to shop, parks, sport centers, etc). The entire city is full of beautiful bike paths. Even though California is experience a dry out period, people and the community take good care of the yards and the parks, and everything looks beautiful.

Merced is a very convenient place to live if you do not want to spend all your salary in housing, like it happens in the Bay Area, but you still want to live close to also cool but expensive places such as Monterey, Santa Cruz, San Francisco.

We love nature and Merced is the best place to live to be close to the Sierras and Yosemite National Park, San Luis wildlife Refuge and many more....

The city is improving by the minute thanks to UC Merced and Merced College. Education is getting better and better....

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,977 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Possibly Moving To Merced?

We've been through Merced many times on the freeway. Only stayed there on one occasion about a dozen years ago, splitting the drive home from Lake Tahoe to LA. Used to always stay in Fresno, but got a late start, and called ahead to Merced to book a room unseen. We stayed at the motel, and during the night, some guys tried to break into our car.

I'm a light sleeper when we used to stay in Motels, where you park in front of your door and you hear people coming and going. For some reason I got up looked out the curtain in the middle of the night when I heard activity, and saw "hoods" hanging around our car. I yelled at them and they ran off. I think it was a Vagabond Hotel, we used to stay at them from time to time and always found them nice. I don't think the brand is around anymore so don't know what part of town it was in.

Anyway, you cannot judge a town by one incident to us. There is now a University there, so the population must be increasing and attracting new people.

I'd check Merced out first if you can get away for a visit, and have the realtor show you around. Are you bringing a family, checking out the school system, or just looking for an apartment?

Get answers to your questions about Merced