We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worth a Stop?

Which Modesto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland
Level Contributor
147 posts
142 reviews
Save Topic
Worth a Stop?

We are driving from Yosemite Valley to San Francisco airport to catch a 6pm flight to LV in October. Hubby is obsessed with the film American Graffiti and so wants to stop in Modesto on the way. I can't seem to find any info indicating there is much to see to connect Modesto to the film these days. Is this correct? Is it worth stopping to indulge my husband's love or will he just be disappointed?

14 replies to this topic
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,726 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worth a Stop?

American Graffiti was loosely based on George Lucas' early life growing up in Modesto, but none of the movie was actually filmed there.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,745 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worth a Stop?

I am afraid he might be disappointed. That was a 1973 film and I imagine that 10th and 11th Streets have changed a lot.

This is from Wikipedia. You might google Modesto and read the whole article so you 'guys' can decide.

>>>Modesto was immortalized in the 1973 George Lucas film American Graffiti. The award winning film captured the spirit of "cruising" and friendship on 10th and 11th Streets in 1962 and led to the revival of 1950's nostalgia that included the TV show Happy Days and the other spin-offs. Ron Howard, Harrison Ford and Richard Dreyfuss starred in the film. The soundtrack was a huge success. Director George Lucas is a native of Modesto, graduating from Downey High School in 1962.<<

Edited: 10 August 2012, 21:57
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,745 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worth a Stop?

OH....I thought he might have filmed part of it on location. Well, anyway you could visit 10th and 11th Streets to "feel" the atmosphere, if it still exists. :~)

(Kibblesmom, are you in on the 'tardy typsit tiara'? It is now mine. One minute apart in posting :~)

Edited: 10 August 2012, 22:01
California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worth a Stop?

The movie was largely filmed in Petaluma, CA

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069704/locations

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
56,548 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worth a Stop?

Not the question you're asking, but in October the best way to get from Yosemite Valley to Las Vegas is to drive out Tioga Pass & down Hwy 395, through Death Valley, and see the glittering lights before you. One night is usually recommended for this route (around Bishop or Lone Pine) but road warriors can do it in a day. http://goo.gl/maps/xc3kk 435 miles, 8.5 hrs w/o scenic stops

The route you're planning is 200+ mile & 4 hours to SFO, drop off the rental car, check in for your 1.5 hr flight, arrive in Las Vegas maybe 8 hours after you leave Yosemite Valley (assuming no stops on the drive & no traffic.)

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,653 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Worth a Stop?

There is a little bench at the end of "J" street in downtown Modesto with stautes of a couple of people in the movie, but hardly worth a drive over there to see. Also, the town of Modesto holds a Graffiti weekend in early June with a lot of old cars cruising and car shows. Nothing going on in October.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,726 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Worth a Stop?

@ Puter: Yep! I'm aware of the Tardy Typist Tiara moniker and I congratulate you. :-)'

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Worth a Stop?

Buy him the Delux DVD set and save him some dissapointment and both of you some time.

By the way, if he is into the "cruising" thing, where he really needs to go is to the Woodward Dream Cruise in Detroit in August. Woodward is where cruising started in the 1950s. About a million people show up for the annual Dream Cruise now. Link:

http://www.woodwarddreamcruise.com/

Also try Goolgling for actual film of the event.

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Worth a Stop?

This is way out there but if your hubs ever decides y'all have to check out the Woodward event, file my profile here away somewhere for future contact. I'm from Detroit & used to drag Woodward in the 50s. I still know a few people back there & probably could find a couple guys for him to hang out with. (I'm in California for last 40 years)

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,618 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Worth a Stop?

If you're driving by, it isn't hard to do a quick spin through downtown. I was last there about two years ago, and not much reminded me of American Graffiti.

Reply to: Worth a Stop?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Modesto