We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mojave & Rosamond travel

Which Mojave hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
260 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Mojave & Rosamond travel

We are heading to WillowSpring Raceway for an event in early July and would like to ask for suggestions on what to do while he is at his course. Am staying in Mojave and welcome suggestions. Is it as windy as all the posts seem to indicate? Thanks so much!

5 replies to this topic
Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mojave & Rosamond travel

They have thousands of windmills in Mojave for a good reason. I can't think of anything to do in the area, and I passed through there twice this last week. Red Rock Canyon is 25 miles north of Mojave on hwy 14, beautiful but it is only a short stop. With the higher temperatures in the area, you may want to go to the mall in Lancaster to keep cool. Nice shops and restaurants. Would reconsider staying in Lancaster, as the Raceway is west of Rosamond which is a little south of Mojave.

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mojave & Rosamond travel

Mojave and surrounding area is not generally considered a visitor's paradise...

Red Rock Canyon is very nice... the ghost town of Randsburg is interesting... neither is very close but both are by desert standards close enough...

Although of no use for a visitor I can only think of Frank Zappa's "Billy The Mountain" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-0b0_SqyM0 "A regular picturesque. Postcardy mountain. Residing between lovely. Rosamond and Gorman " I would not suggest searching for Billy.... that is not what the song is about...

Randy

Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
218 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mojave & Rosamond travel

I agree with the other posts, there is really not anything to do in Mojave/Rosamond.

We went here last summer and it was interesting, if you're into cats. We maybe stayed an hour.

http://www.cathouse-fcc.org/

Or catch up on some movies at this theater...it's right near the freeway. It could easily be 100 degrees in July there.

www.cinemark.com/theatre-detail.aspx…

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,246 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mojave & Rosamond travel

A town named after the great Mojave Desert ought to be a lot more interesting than this place actually is. For visitors, it isn't much more than a wide spot in the road, a convenient place to eat or fill the tank and little else. It’s a major crossroads town on the roads between Bakersfield, Las Vegas, Death Valley, and Los Angeles, so it has plenty of gas stations, motels, and a decent supermarket. Railroad trains go through several times a day, but they are all freights.

Without knowing what interests you, it's hard to make suggestions. Perhaps, coming from Vancouver, some of the town's meager offerings would be unique to you. If you're willing to drive a moderate distance, you'd find more to do.

Red Rock Canyon State Park was mentioned, a little over 30 miles away, a small park with interesting natural formations. Randsburg is a historic and current mining town that has an "Old West" ambience including wooden sidewalks and buildings that look like they came from a movie set, and there is mining apparatus around town and in the nearby hills. It's possible to visit both in a round trip from Mojave of about 90 miles.

The historic town of Tehachapi (sounds almost like "to hatch a pea") is 20 miles west of Mojave and has a quaint restored downtown. Among active towns (Randsburg is not very active) with interesting downtown areas, Tehachapi is probably the closest convenient place.

http://www.mainstreettehachapi.org/

As for staying in Lancaster, it is not an appealing place, but it does have more urban "amenities," although I hesitate to use that word because it sounds so, well, positive. Some people call Lancaster "land scatter,"” with reason. Lancaster and Palmdale define suburban sprawl with no real community identity. They are bedroom towns for people who commute an hour or more to Los Angeles, as well as people who make their living other ways, like producing synthetic drugs or meth. They have all the beauty, charm, and quaintness of any sprawling suburb anywhere in America along with the drug activity, gangs, and crime. So maybe as a visitor you'll see something of interest there.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mojave & Rosamond travel

I second a visit to Tehachapi - a short drive into the hills and it's a different world. Higher elevation so it's cooler. Very nice little town - http://www.visittehachapi.com/

Reply to: Mojave & Rosamond travel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mojave