We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monterey Fish House

Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
65 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Monterey Fish House

My wife and I are heading for Monterey around New Years. Can you bring your own wine to the fish house for a reasonable corkage fee? Someone told me you could but the restaurant does not have a website. Does anyone know the real deal?

Mentioned in this post
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,394 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monterey Fish House

Hi. I just called the restaurant. You can bring your own wine, and their corkage fee is $15.00. Enjoy.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Monterey Fish House

I've eaten there several times since the reports that follow. Ate there, again, the Thursday 'fore ThanksGiving. I'll eat there again on January 17 and maybe the twentieth.

Local: Tuesday, January 20, 2004 03:47

Subject: Monterey's Fish House . . .

. . . is at 2114 Del Monte Avenue (Telephone: 1831/373-4647) near the Northern border.

Attending a dance convention this past week-end, I twice went to the subject venue. I can only add emphasis to what I said last April.

Thursday night I overheard one waiter telling another that he had called downtown to learn that it, and Cannery Row, was "dead". At this place, not only was every seat occupied, there were no fewer than a dozen drooling potential diners standing around.

The first meal I had was Curry Snapper that was delicious with perfectly prepared vegetables. The second was Blackened Tuna. At the first meal I had a César salad (the one ordered for the second was forgotten then waived). Also had two oysters with the first meal. Sunday night, they had run out of oysters.

Monterey's Fish House is probably the best restaurant in town when it comes to quality, quantity, price, and value. Go there!

Subject: Monterey's Fish House . . .

Date: 2003-04-21 02:50:16

. . . is at 2114 Del Monte Avenue (Telephone: 1831/373-4647) near the Northern border.

Passing Pájaro Dunes, I asked "Do you have a cuisine in mind?" "Fish!" "Well, it's the Bay Area, so what else would we eat? Any particular cuisine?" "Fish!" "OK. You choose where."

Monterey's Fish House was the first place ("There!") she saw. We made a U-Turn at the skate rink and parked at the closest legal space to the door, not a good sign. When we opened that door, however, there was a crowd standing in wait for a table, usually a good omen. The place revealed itself to be much larger than one would expect from the exterior.

The clientèle were a broad cross-section of the denim-clad crowd, many ages, many apparent ancestries, many families. The lovely hostess downcast her eyes when we confessed the absence of a reservation but, almost immediately, she seated us leaving the larger party ahead of us in wait.

The place was loud but not intolerably so. Although we could clearly hear the conversations of many others, we could also clearly hear each other so it wasn't too bad.

The busser came almost immediately to present us with glasses of water and a basket of unwarm'd bread. Probably not yet old enough to have wine with dinner outside his home, he was terrific! He addressed us in the best of fashions and seemed to be truly concerned about our needs to which he attended throughout our meal.

Along came one of two large Mafiosi-types to take our order. This man, probably David or John DiGirolamo, knew everything there was to know about the menu. I got the impression that he knew each fish from the time they were eggs, the rocks where they were born, the routes they took in their travels and the adventures they had, the type of gear used to land them and the specific individuals at the other ends of that gear as well as the driver who got them to his refrigerator. I think he might have also known the the people who harvested the spices in the kitchen and possibly helpt t'till the fileds whence came the vegetables. I ain't never seen nor heard nuttin' like it. Similar, of course, many -- but none to the degree of this Mafioso-looking font of fishy knowledge.

She ordered a salmon dish, I squid. With one glass of wine, the tab sans toke was a very reasonable $38.50. You could do worse, a lot worse. You could do better, but not much. We recommend a visit to this place the next time you're that near the SouthLand.

Y'never who's who or what's what:

A young couple was seated next to us, he looking like a stereotypical fresh-off-the-farm type wearing shorts exposing his hairy and grotesquely fat legs, and wearing a bill'd cap. But the cap's legend was "Pebble Beach". His companion was a pretty and lithe blonde.

Although the restaurant has a decent wine list, this young man produced a bottle of wine from a plastic bag. An ice bucket was provided so I never did see the label but it seemed to impress our Mafioso.

A San Franciscan who says: "You serve it, I'll eat it!"

Mentioned in this post
Monterey's Fish House
Monterey's Fish House
1,546 Reviews
Monterey, CA
Del Monte Beach
Del Monte Beach
80 Reviews
Monterey, CA
Cannery Row
Cannery Row
3,773 Reviews
Monterey, CA
Pebble Beach
Pebble Beach
Monterey County, CA
Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
65 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monterey Fish House

Thanks for the effort PG!

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,394 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monterey Fish House

You're very welcome.

5. Re: Monterey Fish House

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 15:17