We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Half Moon Bay, Santa Cruz or Monterey?

Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Half Moon Bay, Santa Cruz or Monterey?

I live in Oakland and am planning a two nite mid-week road trip in late March. Am looking to get away---relax, read in a coffee shop, in front of the water, walk to shops, etc...Am not looking to spend a lot of money--cheap accomodations, food, etc....

Am considering three options: Half Moon Bay, Santa Cruz & Monterey. Recommendations?

California
Level Contributor
465 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Half Moon Bay, Santa Cruz or Monterey?

Others may feel differently, but here's how I'd break them down. Half Moon Bay: small, quaint, and quiet... but it seems everytime I've gone it's been a bit chilly. Santa Cruz: edgier, w/Berkeley-like aspects... but also redwoods and some beautiful views. Monterey: biggest town... Pacific Grove may be an option for you (for truly cheap accomodations, look into Asilomar. A little camp-like, but right along some gorgeous beachfront).

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Half Moon Bay, Santa Cruz or Monterey?

I can't say much about the other two areas, but with regard to the Monterey area, both Pacific Grove and Carmel could be good options. My only concern is cost, though. In late March you might get a good rate at a B&B in PG. Green Gables Inn or Seven Gables Inn will give you ocean views, easy access to the recreation trail for walks along the coastline, as well as an easy walk to town for meals and coffee (there are three coffee shops, the nicest being The Works). Other B&Bs in PG: Gosby House Inn (on the main street); Old St, Angela Inn (one block from the water).

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
181 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Half Moon Bay, Santa Cruz or Monterey?

You could try Capitola. The town is small but has a lot of small shops and restaurants. The Capitola Hotel is near the beach and has nice rooms. The weekends are somewhat busy, but mid week would probably be more relaxing. There is a coffee shop (Mr. Toots) steps away.

http://www.capitolahotel.com/index.html

http://www.tootscoffee.com/

Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Half Moon Bay, Santa Cruz or Monterey?

Thanks--I'll check these out!

Level Contributor
35,226 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Half Moon Bay, Santa Cruz or Monterey?

I like the idea of Capitola, we were there this summer and I loved the downtown area here, Capitola City Beach is very pretty, also. :)

6. Re: Half Moon Bay, Santa Cruz or Monterey?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 19:17