We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New or Recently Remodeled Accomodations

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
New or Recently Remodeled Accomodations

Are there any new hotels/motels/B&B's (or ones that have been recently remodeled) in Monterey, Pacific Grove, or Carmel? Thank you!

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,383 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New or Recently Remodeled Accomodations

The only new construction I'm aware of is the Ocean's Edge Hotel, which is still being built on Cannery Row. I don't know their projected opening date. A number of places say that they have renovated rooms--for example, the Monterey Beach Resort recently renovated rooms, but I don't know if that means more than redecorating. If you can tell us more specifically what it is you're looking for in terms of quality, decor, and price range, I'm sure you'll get better advice.

Level Contributor
36,634 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New or Recently Remodeled Accomodations

My son just stayed at the Sanctuary Resort (formerly Marine Dunes) just outside of Monterey and loved it! They had a spacious oceanfront Jr. Suite, he said it was very clean and pretty, they have a website of you want to check it out. :)

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New or Recently Remodeled Accomodations

I’d like to find someplace that is relatively clean; I’ve stayed in a few places recently that were highly rated yet seemed a little shabby (e.g. worn carpeting, bathrooms that had seen better days). I don’t want to spend more than $200 a night. Thanks!

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,383 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New or Recently Remodeled Accomodations

There are two places that come to mind that are in your price range and might fit the bill. As previously mentioned, Monterey Beach Resort. It's the only hotel in Monterey that is right on the beach, so that in itself makes it special. The rooms have always been all right--clean and comfortable, as far as I know. I would suggest that you request a renovated room and ask them exactly what "renovated" means. I inquired for someone a few months ago, and at the time they were talking about new drapes, TVs, etc., but I'm not sure about the carpets.

The other place is the Colton Inn. It is NOT new by any means, but it's very good value for the money and in a convenient Monterey location. My husband and I stayed there in January one night during a power outage at our house. We had a comfortable king size bed and the room, though not new, was very clean. They also had free wi-fi, a huge selection of movies at the front desk for free and a dvd player in the room. Our room also had a fireplace.

The newest hotel I can think of is the Ramada Inn in Marina--it's just a few years old. The surroundings are blah, to say the least. And it's a 15-minute drive to Monterey.

We all have different standards. I'm like you in that I'm happiest in a place that looks new. It's just hard to find around here, even if you do want to pay more. The restrictions on building have made it hard for new hotels to be built.

There's nothing to lose by inquiring at Portola Plaza Hotel and Monterey Plaza Hotel. Both are nice places, but they tend to run higher than $200. You never know, though.

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New or Recently Remodeled Accomodations

Hyatt Monterey has completed a multi-million $$$ renovation. I am staying there next week and have done my research. Also in Marina just north of Monterey there is a place called Marina Dunes and looks GREAT on website. Nice rooms with Ocean views and fireplaces. Only a few miles North.

Level Contributor
36,634 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New or Recently Remodeled Accomodations

The Marina Dunes is now called the Sanctuary Resort. :)

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Pinetop-Lakeside
Level Contributor
2,645 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New or Recently Remodeled Accomodations

We love the Monterey Plaza and Spa

montereyplazahotel.com/accommodations.html

Beautiful location with some rooms hanging out over the water. There are views of the harbor and ocean available. The rooms hanging out over the water are beyond wonderful - you can look down and see cute little otters floating by, hear the fog horns in the morning (if you leave your sliding doors open) and the seals barking. It's within walking distance of Cannery Row and the Aquarium.

Can't wait to go back there in July.

Level Contributor
36,634 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New or Recently Remodeled Accomodations

We also love the Plaza, it isn't brand new but it is very upscale, they have a great rooftop spa there with panoramic views of the ocean and two wonderful restaurants. :)

9. Re: New or Recently Remodeled Accomodations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 16:18