We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need rec: great breakfast in Monterey

MPJ
Santa Barbara, CA
Level Contributor
72 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Need rec: great breakfast in Monterey

Hi all!

I will be in Monterey the weekend of October 15 for the Laguna Seca race, and we'll be staying at some random hotel; the in-laws are footing the bill.

As a thank-you, I was thinking we could treat them to a luxurious and delicious breakfast on our last day together.

Any recommendations? I don't want to spend too-too much...but I do want some ambiance, a great view if possible, and of course, most importantly, amazing food. I like lighter items like fruit and egg whites, and the in-laws love sausage and traditional breakfast foods; do you think I can find a place that offers both?

Thanks in advance! I appreciate your help.

Monterey
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need rec: great breakfast in Monterey

Brunch ideas are as follows Montrio

414 Calle principal

Monterey (831) 648-8880

Stillwater Bar & Grill

17 Mile Drive @ the lodge

Pebble Beach (831) 625-8524

Tarpy's Roadhouse

Hwy 68 & Canyon Del Rey

Monterey (831) 647-1444

Pacific's Edge/ Highland's Inn

Highway 1

Carmel (831) 624-3801

If you search by name you should find web sites................

Have a great trip.

Monterey
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need rec: great breakfast in Monterey

Wow sorry about that.......looks like secret code (smile) don't know what happened but I'll try again. For brunch ideas here are a few names for the most popular and then you can find them on line or by going to www.montereyinfo.org and searching restaurants/dining..............here we go again. I think this time I will only type the names and not the address & #

Montrio, Stillwater Bar & Grill @ the Lodge @ Pebble Beach, Tarpy's (my fav) and Pacific's Edge @ Highlands Inn. Have a wonderful trip and bring your ear plugs for the race!!

Monterey
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need rec: great breakfast in Monterey

How could I forget....there is this great little place right over by the Monterey Bay Aquarium, slightly up an incline on the street, located at the American Tin Cannery. Pretty good ocean view from out-door patio (they also have indoor seating) they have a wonderful breakfast...sorry I was so excited and hungry that I almost forgot to tell you the name. It's First Awakenings, not luxurious by any means but quite charming and trendy and nice. They also include menu items such as granola with fruit, nuts and yogurt along with several omelet selections and other customary breakfast items.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,371 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need rec: great breakfast in Monterey

Another place with good food and a great view is Roy's at Spanish Bay in Pebble Beach. First Awakenings has good food, but if you're looking for a more "luxurious," brunchy kind of place, I wouldn't recommend it. Stillwater Grille that the previous mentioned also is in Pebble Beach, at the Lodge. I haven't eaten breakfast there, but its location on Stillwater Cove is really gorgeous. At both Stillwater and Roy's, it's nice to stroll the grounds after eating--especially if the sun is out. And there's something special about driving through Pebble Beach to get there. It's such a beautiful place. In Carmel, there's the Terrace at La Playa Hotel. I think Tarpy's Roadhouse was mentioned. Again, I haven't had breakfast there, but for lunch and dinner it's one of my favorite restaurants. It's located on Hwy 68 about 10 minutes from the center of Monterey, just past the airport, so no ocean views. But the setting is very pretty.

Level Contributor
35,221 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need rec: great breakfast in Monterey

If you're right in Monterey, I would take them to the Duck Club at the Monterey Plaza Hotel. The ambiance there, is just gorgeous, kind of a formal feel as it is their more formal restaurant. They serve a very good traditional breakfast and the views can't be beat!

If you want to go into Carmel, The California Market has very, very good breakfasts and the views of the rugged coastline are amazing. It is located in the Highland's Inn. Both of these places would offer you the great ambiance with beautiful views and very good food. Cheers and please report back on how it goes! :)

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
873 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need rec: great breakfast in Monterey

I second the Plaza, splashing waves against giant windows. Really good breakfast, little jam and honey jars fare.

California
Level Contributor
19 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need rec: great breakfast in Monterey

I think rdy4vacation was talking about First Awakenings at the Tin Cannery. That is by far the BEST breakfast place in the area. The food can't be beat and the prices are very reasonable. But it is definitely casual.

If you are looking for something a little more pricey with a great view I would also recommend The Duck Club (at The Plaza). The brunches are nice and the view is fantastic.

Good luck!

Level Contributor
16 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need rec: great breakfast in Monterey

What about brunch at Mission Ranch in Carmel? I haven't been in years.. I assume they still serve it.... It was really good in the past, and I requested outside seating (especially in the fall when you will be there.. usually nice weather). You need reservations ahead of time, and it is near (short drive) to the Carmel Mission if your family is interested in that. I think the view and grounds at mission ranch are so beautiful. I admit, I have gone firstly for the surroundings, and haven't been "bowled over" by the food. But it's never been bad food as per my experiences.

www.missionranchcarmel.com

montereychic