We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - 08/30 - 09/03

austin, tx
Level Contributor
98 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - 08/30 - 09/03

Hi All - I'll make this short and sweet:

Hotel - Monterey Bay Inn: Loved this place! We had a room with the harbor view. Very spacious and clean, in a great location for us. The sea gulls and sea lions are kind of loud, but we loved it. From the hotel hot tub we were able to watch dolphins and sea otters which was really cool.

Restaurants-

Phil's Ice House in Moss Landing: thought the beach behind the restaurant was nice to sit and watch the waves and sea lions, but thought the food was pricey and average.

The Persian Grill in Monterey: Loved this place. Very small and quaint, but the food and service was excellent.

First Awakenings in Pacific Grove: Great place for breakfast. Has fire pits outside and the food and portions were good.

The Pebble Beach Market (I think that's what it's called): We ate here after driving 17 mile, and thought the lunch was excellent. The sandwiches are huge and they have picnic tables outside.

Nepenthe in Big Sur: was kind of unimpressed with this place. The bartender was pretty rude and the food was very expensive. View was nice but liked Rocky Point better.

Rocky Point in Carmel: The place has AMAZING views. Although it's pricey, the portions are pretty big. Not sure that I'd go there for dinner, but a snack and drink is so worth it just to sit outside.

Activities -

Monterey Bay Whale Watching: This is not for someone who has a weak stomach. First, if you're going whale watching make sure that you get on a large boat as it's very choppy out there. Second, if you have small children, stay to the back of the boat - we hit a couple of large waves that would have sent a small child flying. We did get to see dolphins, sea otters, jelly fish and humpback whales. We had a really good time, but again - not for those with a weak stomach. Didn't even know that I had one until we got out there.

Point Lobos State Park: Hiked around the park for a few hours. The view was so pretty and very natural. Highly recommend.

Wineries: The wineries are definitely different here than those in Napa/Sonoma. They are mostly small or tasting rooms, but they were nice to visit. We only visited those in the Carmel Highlands, so I can't speak for all of them.

I'm sure that I'm leaving stuff out, but wanted to share some of our experiences. We had an amazing time and thanks to all of those who helped out on this forum!

Level Contributor
35,434 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - 08/30 - 09/03

Sounds like a nice time in Monterey, thanks for the report back. :)

Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - 08/30 - 09/03

klb, I appreciate your trip report also as my husband and I will be visiting the same area in October. We'd been looking forward to Phil's Fish Market when we stay overnight at Captain's Inn. Is that the spot you're talking about as Phil's Ice House? Did you try the cioppino?

austin, tx
Level Contributor
98 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - 08/30 - 09/03

We went to the Phil's on Sandholtd Rd. in Moss Landing. I did not have the cioppino, we had clam chowder, grilled sardines and crab cakes (pretty much all snacks so that we could taste a variety of things). Overall, the food was not bad, but I guess for the price and all of the hype it got, I had high expectations. I was also a little disappointed that it wasn't outside on the water which is what I was looking for. BUT it was really crowded so it definitely is a popular place.

4. Re: Trip Report - 08/30 - 09/03

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 17:21