We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

USA holidays

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
USA holidays

Hi

We are in Monterey April 26-28th. It was suggested on another post that this may coincide with spring break? Are we going to run into trouble at this time of year?

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,692 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: USA holidays

Relax, Julie

While Monterey/Carmel will have more folks (like yourself) visiting, the spring break crowds are quite manageable. I've been to Monterey several times over spring break and did not find it too uncomfortable (I don't like crowds).

Many spring breakers will be up in Santa Cruz or San Francisco anyway. The Monterey crowds tend to include more families than the college crowd. You should be fine.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,381 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: USA holidays

The schools in our country are all on such different schedules that what is spring break in one school district is not in another. The only place you'll find major crowds is at the aquarium, and I recommend that you buy your tickets in advance if you plan to go. You can get them online or possibly from your hotel, but you'd need to check with them. By the way, if you haven't booked your lodging yet and want to see the aquarium, you can save money by getting an aquarium package. Here is a partial list of places that offer the package: www.mbayaq.org/vi/vi_tickets/hotels.asp

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: USA holidays

Hi

PGdenizen I was looking at staying at the Downtown Travelodge(seems reasonably priced USD$240 for 2 nights). They currently have a package that includes the Aquarium for $260. I was hoping they may offer it next April. If you can suggest anything around the $100pn or slightly dearer with the Aquarium package I will check it out.

We are trying to pay everything up front but with the Australian dollar falling are holding off any further payments until it stabilises.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,381 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: USA holidays

Hi Julie. I looked at the sites of some places that I often recommend and they were either more expensive or they don't have their package rates posted for April yet. I know that the aquarium packages are popular in the summer, and I don't know if they offer them in April. $130 a night, including aquarium tickets, is an excellent rate, and the Travelodge gets reasonably good reviews. Consider that two adult one-day tickets would cost you about $50. You might also look at Sand Dollar Inn and Monterey Bay Lodge. I think that after the first of the year, you'll be able to get more accurate information about hotel packages and rates for '09. My advice is to keep checking. For April, you can wait to book until early in the year to lock in a good rate, but as soon as you find something really good, grab it. Just check their cancellation policy--you can always cancel it later if you find something better.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
61,931 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: USA holidays

Spring Break for most US colleges & universities is mid to late March. Public schools (kindergarten thru 12th grade) have their one week break sometime between mid-March and mid-April. I haven't heard of any on Spring Break in late April.

Have fun!

6. Re: USA holidays

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 12:24