We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francisco-San Luis-Obispo-Pacific Grove!

ireland
Level Contributor
546 posts
1 review
Save Topic
San Francisco-San Luis-Obispo-Pacific Grove!

Hi,

Hubby and I are spending a month travelling California. I have thoroughly researched these area but if anyone is extremly familiar I would love help in planning an itineary for our visit to these places.

We'd love to see Morro Bay, Carmel,Monteray,17 mile drive, Sea lions, Hearst castle maybe, drive by Big Sur and anything else that we shouldn't miss. If that sounds way too hectic please tell me.

Ideally, I'd love sight seeing, strolling shops in towns and dinner at night. We're not into hiking but we love animals but have seen enough zoos. I also like to book into my accomodation earlish i.e. not very late at night but if that makes an itineary difficult I can alter my routine.

Start of August

Leaving San Francisco Sat morn.

Stay Sat night in San Luis Obispo

Stay Sunday night in Pacific Grove.

Depart for Yoesimite Monday morn.

ireland
Level Contributor
546 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: San Francisco-San Luis-Obispo-Pacific Grove!

Warning! Warning! Warning! Apologies, I must correct my geography. See below fro my revised itineary!!

Hubby and I are spending a month travelling California. I have thoroughly researched these area but if anyone is extremly familiar I would love help in planning an itineary for our visit to these places.

We'd love to see Morro Bay, Carmel,Monteray,17 mile drive, Sea lions, Hearst castle maybe, drive by Big Sur and anything else that we shouldn't miss. If that sounds way too hectic please tell me.

Ideally, I'd love sight seeing, strolling shops in towns and dinner at night. We're not into hiking but we love animals but have seen enough zoos. I also like to book into my accomodation earlish i.e. not very late at night but if that makes an itineary difficult I can alter my routine.

Start of August

Leaving Santa Barbara Sat morn.

Stay Sat night in San Luis Obispo

Stay Sunday night in Pacific Grove.

Depart for San Francisco Monday morn.

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Francisco-San Luis-Obispo-Pacific Grove!

The Santa Barbara to SLO is fine...........but trying to drive SLO up the coast and do Hearst Castle and Big Sur, nite in PG and then leave in the am to SF means all you will be doing is driving by everything without enjoying anything.

You need to add another day on the monterey peninsula if you want to have fun.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,255 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Francisco-San Luis-Obispo-Pacific Grove!

I have to agree with larryjohn.

Where do you plan on staying in San Luis Obispo and why did you choose this location to overnight?

Personally, I would keep going north, visiting Morro Bay before spending the night in Cambria. www.cambriachamber.org/

The drive from Cambria/San Simeon to Pacific Grove could take all day with a Hearst Castle tour. If you arrive in Pacific Grove late in the day only to leave the following morning for Yosemite, you really will miss out on one of California's great areas. 2 nights on the Monterey Peninsula would be best. Please re-think your plan so you can enjoy more of California than just passing through it in a car.

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: San Francisco-San Luis-Obispo-Pacific Grove!

I'm confused. You say you have an entire month, but this itinerary only covers a single weekend. There's no way you can see all of those places in three days. The Monterey Peninsula alone is worth a full weekend.

How does this itinerary fit into your full month plans?

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

ireland
Level Contributor
546 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: San Francisco-San Luis-Obispo-Pacific Grove!

Hi Guys,

We do have a month but we are spending quite a few days in cities such as San Fran, San Diego, L.A., also going Yoesimite then Lake Tahoe and finally out of California and into Vegas. Starting at the bottom, travelling up and across and ending up in Vegas!

We will have 4 nights in San Francisco so will have plenty of time to rest.

What we really want to see are Morro Bay, sea lions, Maybe Hearst Castle, 17 mile drive and lots of beach and sun for the views only. Not a beach worshipper!

It's probably hectic but when we have never done it before it seemed like our iteneary was o.k. O.k. I've decided definately staying in Cambria and now must pick Pacific Grove or Carmel.

Will keep you posted. Any views, let me know. Thanks alot for all your helpful views. I have taken them into consideration but am definately only doing 2nites as previous and after accomodation is booked.

ireland
Level Contributor
546 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: San Francisco-San Luis-Obispo-Pacific Grove!

Newish itenary.

Leave Santa Barbara earlish,

Visit Morro bay,

arrive Cambria,

do last tour Hearst castle,

relaxing evening preferably in a romantic beachfront restaurant,

then leave following day for Monteray pennisula.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,255 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Francisco-San Luis-Obispo-Pacific Grove!

Penny

There are really only two "beach front" restaurants in Cambria: Moonstone Beach Bar & Grill & The Sea Chest, neither of which I would say fall into the "romantic" category. The two most romantic restaurants in Cambria are located in the East Village area: Robin's or Sow's Ear. Black Cat Bistro may well fit into that category, as well, but I haven't had the opportunity to try them yet.

Moonstone Beach Bar & Grill would be my choice for sunset dining, with the Pacific Ocean being just across the street.

BTW- The Sea Chest is a cash only eatery.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,255 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Francisco-San Luis-Obispo-Pacific Grove!

Regarding your Carmel or Pacific Grove dilemma:

Both towns are quaint and have their owns charms.

Carmel by the Sea is known for its quaint storybook like homes, fine shopping and excellent restaurants. Carmel's white sand cypress tree lines beach is one of the prettiest beaches I have ever been on.

Pacific Grove is known for its Victorian architecture (many have been converted into Bed & Breakfast inns), small town feel, the recreational trail that meanders along the shore to Lover's Point Park in one direction and Monterey's Cannery Row in the other. PG also has many excellent restaurants for fine dining.

These two towns are virtually minutes apart and not a hardship to get from one to the other.

Carmel does not have any ocean front lodging, but there are three Bed & Breakfast inns in Pacific Grove right across the street from the bay and rec trail. The Green Gables Inn is my favorite (www.greengablesinnpg.com), but there is also The Seven Gables Inn (www.pginns.com) or The Martine Inn.

I like the look of La Playa and the Mission Ranch Inn in Carmel, but Cobblestone Inn, Sea View Inn or Sandpiper Inn by the Sea all have charming appeal.

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: San Francisco-San Luis-Obispo-Pacific Grove!

If your scheduling it tight, you should probably stay in Carmel. Although Pacific Grove is not far away, staying in Carmel will put some of our area's best features very close at hand.

You really should consider spending two nights in Carmel, even if you have to sacrifice a day in San Francisco to do it. We have some of the most spectacular beaches on the planet, and I'd hate to have you come all this way and blow past them so quickly. We also have lots of shops and galleries that you will want to take time to explore once you get here, especially since this is one of your stated interests.

If you still think San Francisco requires four days and Carmel less than a full day, consider this. Many years ago, before I was born, my father brought the family out west from Michigan to see San Francisco. My mother insisted he also see Carmel, which he agreed to grudgingly, allowing one day. He saw Carmel, then went on to San Francisco. After just one day in San Francisco he decided he'd seen enough. He then took everyone back to Carmel for two more days. Soon after the family moved to Carmel. It's that good.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Level Contributor
35,264 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: San Francisco-San Luis-Obispo-Pacific Grove!

Both Moonstone Beach bar & Grill and the Sea Chest have great food, aside from being a cash only restaurant, the Sea Chest also does not take reservations. If you're a seafood lover, I would go here.

We have stayed at La Playa in Carmel, it is very nice. Anton & Michel and Citronelle in Carmel Valley were two places we enjoyed excellent dinners in this area during a stay this past Dec. at the Highland's Inn. www.carmelcalifornia.com is a nice website for this area. :)