We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Monterey

Which Monterey hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
dallas, texas
Level Contributor
444 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Monterey

ahhhh - Monterey. This was the best part of our vacation (we went to SF firt, then Monterey, then on to Yosemite). I loved the Monterey segment. Unfortunately we had overcast cloudy skies each day, but that didn't dampen our spirits. We will just have to plan to come back another time to see blue skies and blue water.

where to begin... We stayed at the Monterey Plaza Hotel and it is a wonderful establishment with top notch accomodations. Would HIGHLY recommend this hotel and would stay again. It is in a wonderful location as well. Our room was SO large (largest of all the hotels we stayed in this trip - we stayed in 5 different ones and this was my favorite by far!).

We ate at El Torito (is that correct spelling?) located between our hotel and Cannary Row. It was WONDERFUL Mexican food. I am from Texas and am VERY picky on Mexican food and my whole family noted this to be one of our favorite places to eat while on vacation. The table-side guacamole was perfect !!! Great food and the service was wonderful as well. We had a window seat and watch the otters play in the kelp beds. :)

We drove the 17-mile drive that evening as the sun was setting. IMO, it wasn't all that great. My husband loved seeing the golf courses (i know, what guy wouldn't, right?) but the only part i found spectacular was the Lone Cypress. Otherwise, I would skip it. Hwy 1 drive is much better.

Next day we drove to Point Lobos. THIS WAS MY FAVORITE PART OF WHOLE TRIP. I loved loved loved this place !!! It was amazingly beautiful. We did the south shore trails and tide pools that morning. It was overcase and foggy, but it was still wonderful. I can't even imagine how amazing it would be in clear sunny weather. We then drove down to Hwy 1 to McWay Falls in Big Sur. We drove back up and back to Point Lobos and did the Cypress Cove trail. It was fabulous. (have I put every adjective available to describe Point Lobos yet -- still not enough words to really appreciate the place!!! -- i think God decided to put an extra measure of His beauty here!) There is something "special" about Point Lobos. Aside from the beauty, which is obvious, it has an air of calm and peacefulness. I loved it (i think I already

said that though, huh?) :)

Drive down Hwy 1 -- okay, to be honest.. IMO it was not quite as amazing as I was hoping for. Maybe it was the fog/overcast weather - maybe??? - but the part just past Bixby Bridge where it goes up to that high vista poitn and you can look back on the bridge would have been enough for me. After that it just didn't do much for me. Big Sur and McWay Falls was nice, but I enjoyed Point Lobos more. But that is just my opinion.. I'm sure others would disagree. (oh and by the way, it isn't a scary drive. I was afraid it would be with it being alongside high cliffs, but it wasn't scary at all in case anybody else was wondering).

Oh, and that a.m. we ate breakfast at Katy's in Carmel. It was good food - lots of it. A little on the expensive side, but worth it.

Next day we went to Montery Bay Aquarium. My 10 y.o. daughter LOVED this. It was her favorite part of the trip. It was fun watching the diver feed the fish in the HUGE tank. He was able to communicate and talk to us while he fed them - even hand fet a shark!!! "WAY COOL" my little girl said! :) Definitely make this a stop in your vacation - lots to see and lots of interaction for the kids.

We walked along Cannary Row and my husband bought me and my 20 y.o. daughter rings at this wonderful little shop (sorry, can't remember name - but it was near Sly McFlys I think). It was a glass ring made from sand. They had many differnt colors to choose from. The people who own the shop were SO nice and we really liked their craftsmanship.

The recreation trail is wonderful and I thoroughly enjoyed walking it and seeing the seals, birds, and people :)

We ate at Bubba Gumps and the fish was OUTSTANDING. It was mahi-mahi and the breading was so good. The onion rings for appetizer were great as well. Oh, and the strawberry lemonade was AMAZING!!!! :) I know some would say "Bubba Gumps? You go to Monterey and eat at Bubba Gumps???" But that was our daughter's choice and I have to say it was a good choice for some good fried seafood !!! :)

The last day we got up and walked over to Fisherman's Wharf. MY OH MY - there were seals EVERYWHERE - literally everywhere. One little guy was even walking out of the women's restroom at the boat landing! :) LOL -- TOO CUT!!! My daughter thought it was neat seeing them so close up.

On to Yosemite -- but I'll post that report in their forum. But Monterey was my favorite stop in this trip to California.

Bornem, Belgium
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Monterey

Hi Ajpesina,

Thank you for this great trip report. We're travelling with our children (age 9 and 11) and we'll be visiting Monterey in July at the end of our road trip, which will start in Madison, Wi and end in SF.

We only have one day in Monterey and I thought of visiting the Aquarium in the morning and Point Lobos in the afternoon. We booked a room in Salinas for that night.

dallas, texas
Level Contributor
444 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Monterey

I would do Point Lobos in a.m. and aquarium in afternoon (i heard it is less crowded in afternoon - and it gets VERY crowded!). Point Lobos is a MUST SEE - not to be missed in my opinion so I would rather start there.

You will love Monterey - we sure did! I'll try to post pictures as soon as I can!

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,363 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Monterey

Ajpesina, How great to read your report! I remember when you were planning the trip. I have to agree with you that there is something other-worldly about Point Lobos. It's too bad that you didn't get to see the sun streaming through the trees (although the fog adds to the atmosphere). I understand your feelings about 17-Mile Drive, but it's worth doing once. Please take my word for it--when the sun shines in Pebble Beach, it's one of the most beautiful places on earth.

I'm glad you had good food. Sometimes you don't feel as though you're on vacation unless you eat in the more touristy places. There's nothing wrong with Bubba Gump's--it's just a little overpriced, but the surroundings are fun, and you can't beat the location.

Aren't those seals a hoot? One time my daughter and I were in a plane taxi-ing along the tarmac, when we saw flashing lights and several airport police cars by our plane. A seal had made his way onto the tarmac, and they had surrounded him with their cars to guide him back to the water!

I'm really glad that you loved Monterey. Come back soon!

mln
Palm Coast, Florida
Level Contributor
308 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Monterey

Great trip report, makes me want to be back there right now....Monterey was also our VERY favorite part of our trip (especially Pt. Lobos)

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,680 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - Monterey

I'm glad that you had such a wonderful time. Point Lobos is one of my favorite places too. And don't worry about Bubba Gumps - we go there every year for my husband's birthday - LOL.

Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - Monterey

I'm a great fan of trip reports and really liked reading yours and remembering our own time visiting the Monterey Bay area last October. Point Lobos was my favorite part, too.

Level Contributor
34,201 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - Monterey

Thanks for the report, sounds like you really enjoyed Monterey! :)

8. Re: Trip Report - Monterey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2009, 06:19