We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monterey on a budget

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Monterey on a budget

Has anyone heard of Cypress Gardens, Sea Breeze or Lighthouse Lodge, or Lone Cypress Pine? Looking for a really really budget hotel in October $100 max pn cheers Angie

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monterey on a budget

Hi Angie. I just learned some interesting information about Lighthouse Lodge. First, let me mention that I hear that the suites are nicer than the lodge rooms. However, I don't think the lodge rooms are awful--just not as nice as the suites. Now, for the new info: Some friends of mine stayed in one of the suites last week. They said that the heated pool near the Lodge rooms is very nice. Also, they serve a made-to-order hot breakfast free; an afternoon reception with hors d'oeuvres free; and a nightly barbecue free. They were able to save a lot of money on food the week they stayed there. They also said that the staff were very nice and very accommodating. So, if you've found a good rate there, I would recommend it.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monterey on a budget

thanks that sounds very encouraging just what we needed to hear cheers Angie

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monterey on a budget

just to add has anyone had experience of Sunset Inn or Butterfly Grove cheers Angie

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,595 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monterey on a budget

I believe Sunset Inn went through a recent remodel, but I have no personal experience with Sunset or Butterfly.

Both are located in the wooded area of Pacific Grove and near Asilomar Beach, which is quite beautiful at sunset time.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monterey on a budget

Thanks Kibblesmom if you don't know these particular hotels have you any budget ones you would recommend in Pacific Grove cheers Angie

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,595 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monterey on a budget

I stay at B&B's in Pacific Grove, Angie, so I can't comment on the budget options. My recommendation to you is to read guest comments here on Trip Advisor for hotels in the area and choose one that appeals to you.

You might also want to check out their websites:

www.sunsetinn.com

www.butteryflygroveinn.com

www.pacificgardensinn.com

www.borgsoceanfrontmotel.com

Level Contributor
35,969 posts
904 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Monterey on a budget

Borg'a is in a great location with gorgeous oceanviews, you will be right across from Lover's Point Park, there is a nice grassy area there and a small beach where you can watch the surfers.

If you want to stay in Monterey, check out some of the budget lodging on Munras Ave. Enjoy the coast! :)

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
790 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Monterey on a budget

The Lighthouse Lodge is currently running a 1/2 off special through centralcoastdeals.com Check it out; you may have to wait until October to get it as I'm not sure about expiration dates. Worth a shot...

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Monterey on a budget

Cypress Gardens has a nice garden but rooms need some work - some rooms without an actual closet; Sea Breeze has re-done their rooms over the past few years - less noisy since in Pacific Grove close to the ocean; Lighthouse Lodge has some really nice rooms and also in Pacific Grove close to the ocean but stay away from their historic/Adobe rooms. Some other really good values are the Bay Park in Monterey, Carmel Crystal Bay Inn in Carmel and Rosedale Inn in Pacific Grove.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Monterey on a budget

Thanks everyone great input as usual , we are going with a b&b in the end called Gosby House bit over budget but not by much has themed rooms and sounds and looks like a British seaside boarding house, real home from home! Cheers Angie