We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dining in monterey or carmel

WA
Level Contributor
141 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
dining in monterey or carmel

We're looking for a few dining options next week in Monterey or Carmel. We're staying at the Navy Lodge over the weekend and at the Embassy Suites later in the week. We don't mind driving to the Carmel area. Last visit we ate at Grasings and Mission Ranch which we plan to return to. So, we're looking for dinner or lunch options for other days. Has anyone tried any of the early dining or prix fix meals? There seems to be a number of them during the week, so we're looking for a few options. Thanks.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dining in monterey or carmel

Hi. I haven't taken advantage of any of the early dining specials or the prix fixe menus, so I can't really recommend anything. However, I can recommend some very good restaurants. For lunch, I highly recommend Red House Cafe in Pacific Grove; for lunch or dinner, Taste Cafe and Bistro, also in Pacific Grove; for lunch or dinner, Tarpy's Roadhouse on Hwy 68 in Monterey, just beyond the airport. If you'd like to take a drive to Carmel Valley, there are some good restaurants out there: I like Corkscrews for lunch (nice garden for outdoor dining) and Cafe Rustica for dinner.

WA
Level Contributor
141 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dining in monterey or carmel

Thanks for the suggestions. We're looking to have lunch before going to the aquarium. Seems like good choices are the Fish Hopper, Schooners Bistro, or the aquarium restaurant Portolas. Suggestions on this?

Fresno, CA
Destination Expert
for Fresno
Level Contributor
1,625 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dining in monterey or carmel

We really like Portolas. Can't beat the view! You can call and make reservations.http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/vi/vi_tips/dining.aspx. My kids love their calamari!

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dining in monterey or carmel

Yes, I agree. The restaurant at the aquarium is nice and has wonderful views.

Level Contributor
35,223 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dining in monterey or carmel

You may want to consider Demetra Cafe for lunch in downtown Carmel, Anton & Michel in the the Courtyard of the Fountains is very nice for dinner. :)

Level Contributor
35,223 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: dining in monterey or carmel

I forgot to add that Christoper's on Lincoln and Casanova are also very nice places for dinners in Carmel. :)

WA
Level Contributor
141 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: dining in monterey or carmel

I just read about Bistro Moulin. Any thoughts on this restaurant. The reviews are good.

Central Ca.
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: dining in monterey or carmel

>>>Bistro Moulin<<<

We are in Carmel often. I am so glad you mentioned this restaurant. We haven't been there yet, but we will be in Oct. I just read their menu!!! I think I'll feel as if I've been magically plunked down in France again. Please do post if you try it.

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
219 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: dining in monterey or carmel

We ate at Christopher's on our first visit to Carmel and it was great! We loved our food!

We also enjoyed our meal at aquirium it was very good, great view and great service.

WA
Level Contributor
141 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: dining in monterey or carmel

Just returned. We enjoyed meals at Mission Ranch, the Portola at the aquarium and Post Ranch Inn. All were expensive, but good. We also had a great chiopino at the Naval Post Graduate School (military id required) on Monday night.