We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monterey Bay Aquarium - how much time to spend

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Monterey Bay Aquarium - how much time to spend

That's it - just a quick question - to really appreciate the aquarium, how much time should my 10 year old and I spend there.

Chicago
Level Contributor
510 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monterey Bay Aquarium - how much time to spend

I was looking on the Aquarium's Web site and they advise allowing 2-3 hours. Hope that helps!

Freeport, New York
Destination Expert
for Long Island
Level Contributor
1,450 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monterey Bay Aquarium - how much time to spend

We were just there and I would say 3 hours is about right. Sometimes it is VERY crowded and it takes longer to see things.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monterey Bay Aquarium - how much time to spend

Thank you both for such quick responses! My son is excited. We plan to visit every aquarium on this planet ever since we saw the one in Genoa, Italy!

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monterey Bay Aquarium - how much time to spend

You can get your hand stamped when you leave if you want to take a break and go back later.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monterey Bay Aquarium - how much time to spend

Good to know - thank you.

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,828 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monterey Bay Aquarium - how much time to spend

I've found that getting there right when they open, taking a couple of hrs. to see the most popular exhibits, and then taking a lunch break at the Aquarium's restaurant, the Portola Cafe (make reservations) works great. After lunch, spend a couple more hrs. visiting exhibits of your choice. If things become a bit overwhelming, it really helps to go outside where you can watch "the Splash Zone" and just take in the beautiful views of Monterey Bay. It would be hard to see "everything" on one's first visit, but it just depends upon your interests--and stamina! To help you organize your visit, here's a link to the floorplan: montereybayaquarium.org/PDF_files/vis_map2.p…

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,396 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Monterey Bay Aquarium - how much time to spend

You'll generally find the aquarium less crowded after 3pm, which makes it a more relaxing and enjoyable experience.

Level Contributor
35,457 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Monterey Bay Aquarium - how much time to spend

Weekends will be more crowded than during the week, I would allow about 3 hours for the aquarium, there is so much to see there, it's an amazing place. Have a great time! :)

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
1,150 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Monterey Bay Aquarium - how much time to spend

I'd go early and organize your day around the showings and feedings that occur. Some places have limited viewing areas (sea otters) so go to the early shows to get a view while you can. Later in the day some places become very crowded. The option is to start early, or go late. I'd go early! With my kids we spent more tha the 3 hours suggested, as I recall 5-6 hours was needed.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Monterey Bay Aquarium - how much time to spend

I suspect Colin and I will also be 4-6 hours there. It'll be interesting to see how big the aquarium is. We easily spent 4 hours at the Genoa Aquarium. Ooh and thank you to that nice person who attached the map - very handy.