We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Someplace half way?

Which Monterey hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
virgina
Level Contributor
167 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Someplace half way?

My husband and I will be going to Point Lobos on Friday June 11th. We hope to be there by noon time. After exploring there, we plan to make our way up route one towards San Francisco. Can someone suggest a nice little town about half way in which we could stay? Unfortunately, we need to keep the price to $125 or less.

Thanks!

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,422 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Someplace half way?

It's only 3 hours to SF from Point Lobos via Highway 1. Any particular reason why you need to stay somewhere in between?

If so, you might as well stay in Monterey. There are several budget hotels on Munras Street.

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,818 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Someplace half way?

The seaside towns of Capitola and Santa Cruz would certainly fit the bill as far as the "half way" mark goes. Others will jump in to advise on where to find budget lodging. Also be sure to check the recommendations and reviews that are already posted as there are many of them. Be aware that during summer weekends (Fri.-Sun.) many places of lodging may require a 2 night minimum stay.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
21,939 posts
5,139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Someplace half way?

Many places have 2 night restrictions on week-ends so since its a Friday along the coast. You also get the summer rate issue, so looking now is a good idea. I just checked Best Western, Travelodge in Santa Cruz and range about $180 - $200 per night when you are looking. As such, you might want to wait till expedia rates etc. are out to book - too early to see if there are any reductionsin rates still. Also, you might want to try a small town a bit inland such as Salinas (short drive from Monterey - you can then return and drive up highway on Saturday). Rates at the Best Western there average about $100 a night.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,587 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Someplace half way?

For a Friday in the summer you are going to have a hard time finding decent lodging on the coast at $125 or under. I cannot find anything I would recommend in Santa Cruz, Capitola, or Aptos at that price. My searches are coming in over $200 !!

You might consider staying on the Monterey Peninsula for the night and driving up the coast the next morning. That is, if PGDenizen can recommend a lodging for you in your price range....but, as mentioned, many places require a two-night minimum in the summer, especially on weekends.

Good Luck.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,363 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Someplace half way?

You can get something in the Monterey area that night. For example, Best Western Monterey Inn is $125.10 if you have AAA. If not, it's just slightly higher. In Pacific Grove, you can get something at Bide-a-Wee Inn and Cottages for $129. I'd choose Bide-a-Wee because of location--near the beach, and PG is a quiet, lovely little town. Dinner at Red House Cafe is wonderful.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,587 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Someplace half way?

There you are. PG came through.

I would not have chosen Salinas. The crime rate there (gang related) is horrific.

virgina
Level Contributor
167 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Someplace half way?

Kibblesmom,

Google maps says that Point Lobos to SF is 4 hrs 20 min. I want to make sure we get to SF not too late on Saturday, so I figured that a 2 hour drive would make that possible. I will check out the towns/hotels suggested.

Thanks everyone!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,587 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Someplace half way?

>>Google maps says that Point Lobos to SF is 4 hrs 20 min. I want to make sure we get to SF not too late on Saturday, so I figured that a 2 hour drive would make that possible. I will check out the towns/hotels suggested.>>

Google maps is wrong.. You can stay at one of the places on Friday recommended by PGDenizin, and drive up the coast to San Francisco in about three hours on Saturday. On the way you would have time to stop in Santa Cruz and visit a State redwood park with just a 7 mile detour and stop at an elephant seal reserve...and....and...and not get into San Francisco "too late".

There is a faster route, but not an interesting one, if you are worried about time. Just let us know.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
21,939 posts
5,139 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Someplace half way?

PG - did you check June rates? The problem is that right now you can definitely find tons of places for this range. Most places seemed to get to be 2X by June. if you have, great. If not, the price range gets to be an issue after the 10 or so I checked....

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
790 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Someplace half way?

HappyinHawaii, do you plan on staying on Hwy 1? If so, maybe Half Moon Bay would work for you. Although is isn't anywhere near the half way mark from Pt. Lobos, it is far enough away from the Monterey Peninsula to not be affected my the PGA tour that is happening in June ( 14 - 20ish ), and it's a really cute & cool little town right on the shore. There is a little town called Watsonville that is on the way, but I don't know about accommadations. They might have a Best Western or Travel Lodge, otherwise I would look into Santa Cruz ( Best Western Suites is good, I've stayed there & it includes breakfast ) or Capitola ( Best Western there is good as well, so is the Capitola Venetian Hotel ).