We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant for romantic dinner

san jose, ca
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant for romantic dinner

Hi..

I am looking for the best romantic restaurant to take my husband for a valentine's treat. Any suggestions would be soooo appreciated....

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,833 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant for romantic dinner

Hmmm. It seems like there should be some obvious choices, but my prob. is that "romantic" usually means "ocean view" and the restaurants on the Bay can get pretty crowded and noisy on a special nite like Valentine's--and that would cancel out the romance. One suggestion is to reserve an early time like 5:00 or 5:30 and that will prob. avoid a larger crowd. You'll also get to be there around sunset which would be great. I think of all the romantic restaurants, I'd choose the Duck Club at the Monterey Plaza Hotel (www.montereyplazahotel.com) on Cannery Row. Great atmosphere and setting, and good food. There's also the Chart House on Cannery Row, but it can get really noisy, plus may not seem special enuf for the occasion. Unfortunately, the Old Bath House in Pacific Grove was THE romantic restaurant, but it's closed and I haven't heard what's become of the pretty building with ocean views. There's also the Stokes Restaurant (www.stokesrestaurant.com) on Hartnell in Old Monterey, but no view, altho' it's in a lovely historic adobe. Maybe, Roadwork or PGdenizen or another local can make better suggestions. But reserve ASAP since Valentine's is such a popular dining out nite.

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant for romantic dinner

...you can try "fresh cream" at heritage harbor or casanova's in carmel.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant for romantic dinner

Forestvillian made some good suggestions. A few others: Pacific's Edge Restaurant at the Highlands Inn; Bernardus Lodge in Carmel Valley; Montrio in Monterey. If you go somewhere with a view (Highlands Inn, for example), going early is a good idea. Not only will you avoid the crowds, but you'll get to enjoy the view for a while before it gets dark. Happy Valentine's Day!

Level Contributor
35,916 posts
904 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant for romantic dinner

There are many to choose from in the area. Pacific's Edge is in a league all of it's own. We dined there last month and it was an absolute culinary delight. I highly suggest this place, but you will need to make reservations asap.

We also really enjoyed the Sardine Factory where we had our anniversary dinner. The Captain's Room is very cozy, intimate while the Conservatory Room is full of lush greenery and has a domed glass ceiling. The Fixed Price menu was excellent, the abalone bisque was very good as were the grilled Sand Dabs and the cheesecake with cranberry drizzle.

In Carmel, Bouchee is doing some outstanding things and Casanova is very romantic with excellent food. You also may want to consider Roy's in Pebble Beach, go at sunset and hear the bagpiper play.

In Pacific Grove, Robert Kincaids White House is elegant, Victorian ambiance. Food and service are excellent here as well. Let me know if you would like specifics on any of the mentioned places. Good Luck and please report back with us. Oh, one last thought is the Carmel Mission Ranch, rustic elegance in a gorgeous setting. :)

Sacramento
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant for romantic dinner

We went to The Fish Hopper on Cannery Row this weekend. It overlooks the ocean, and we sat where you could see ocean on both sides. Also, we were right by the fire pit. Drinking wine and eating crab right out over the ocean....doesn't get more romantic than that! Oh yeah, and the service was impeccable!

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant for romantic dinner

In the lush Conservatory Room at the Sardine Factory, you'll also be approached by a very nice and (not overly) chatty wine steward. All Syrahgirl's comments re the dishes are true. You won't get a view inside, but right outside the door... A lovely evening.

And there are outside heaters at the cafe at the Highlands Inn.

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
877 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant for romantic dinner

of those mentioned above, i would choose, the white houe, barnardus lodge, or pacific edge.

Pacific Grove
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant for romantic dinner

Robert's White House on Lighthouse in Pacific Grove gets my vote. The setting is a stately, historic Victorian home located in the middle of Pacific Grove's downtown. The service is excellent and attentive, yet not obtrusive. The cuisine is a three course continental meal for $37 a plate (very reasonable). I would recommend getting the "chocolate bag" for dessert - its a solid chocolate "bag" filled with a rich chocolate milkshake, with two straws - it's very romantic to share, and fun too! I

I usually find all my restaurant listings from a local website, http://www.montereyromance.com. You can check that out for more romantic restaurants.