We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Options

Rotherham UK
Level Contributor
78 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Options

We are flying into SFO next June for a 2 week fly/drive tour of California and as part of the initial planning process could someone advise on the following:

After a few days in San Fransico we intend flying to Las Vagas for a few days, then a return flight to either San Fran, San Jose or Monterey to drive the Cabrillo highway down to LA.

Ideally we would like to fly into Monterey and after a couple of nights pick up a car for the drive, but our initial research has found that direct flights from LAS to Monterey are limited.

Additionally, would we be able to pre book and pick up a car (one way to LA) from Monterey?

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
875 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Options

All the large rental cars companies are at the airport. We often use Avis

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Options

Hi. I guess you found Allegiant Air, the only airline that flies directly from Las Vegas to Monterey. You can't beat the fares--very reasonable--but they fly, I think, just Monday and Friday. However, since you're planning so far in advance, you can certainly work around that. My only concern is the economy and how that might affect Allegiant. They used to have a flight from Monterey to San Diego, but they discontinued it. However, I think that the Monterey-Las Vegas flight is much more popular, so it's much more likely to have staying power.

As roadwork said, the airport has all the major rental agencies. The airport taxes are quite high, so I'd advise you to compare the rental rates at the airport with the rates at Enterprise Car Rental on Del Monte Ave. in Monterey. If you can get a significantly better deal with that location of Enterprise, it's worth it to either take a taxi there from the airport to pick up your car, or, they offer to pick you up at your hotel, so you can take a taxi to your hotel and check in before getting your car.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Options

You'll probably want a car while you are in Monterey as well. You can see the Monterey area using public transportation and on foot, but having a car there is nice. So if you have a car while in Monterey, that opens up your choices of airports. SJC is only about an hour from Monterey and has a lot more flights from LV.

Rotherham UK
Level Contributor
78 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Options

Thank you all for your input.

As you say PG, planning in advance should help us to work around it, although we were hoping to start looking at our accomadation options. We are slightly concerned that by not nailing travel arrangements early enough could limit these options later :)

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Options

Yes, I understand your concerns, and you're wise to want to book early. As November Moon said, San Jose is a good option. Southwest Airlines, for example, has many flights from Vegas to San Jose, and the fares are good. Then it's just 75 to 90 minutes to drive to Monterey.

6. Re: Travel Options

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 20:16
Get answers to your questions about Monterey