We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elkhorn tour

Which Monterey hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
233 posts
159 reviews
Save Topic
Elkhorn tour

Any local opinions of the Elkhorn Slough nature tour.

Any coupons or discounts around for the tour?

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,363 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Elkhorn tour

I don't know about discounts, but I'll look around a bit and let you know if I find anything. I've taken the tour three times and love it! Seeing otters, seals, birds, etc. up close is just wonderful. Bring binoculars and, of course, a camera. It's good to also bring a blanket or throw to put over your legs, especially on the way back into harbor. And dress in layers and have either a hat or something with a hood. The only thing I don't like is that they ask people to use counters to keep track of how many otters, seals, etc. they see. You can politely say no, though, if you'd rather just take it in without having to "work." (it's a simple task really, but some people would rather not, and that's fine). They always have a young naturalist on the boat to give you information about the animals and about the Slough. I highly recommend the tour.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,957 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Elkhorn tour

It is a fantastic tour.

The only discounts I know of are for groups, classes and Boy Scouts.

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
233 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Elkhorn tour

Looking forward to it. We are staying in Monterey for three days and I will dedicated one of those days for the tour. I am having trouble trying to reserve a day, but we are not going until September, perhaps it is too far in advance. Sounds like it books up early...

I am sure it will be a high light of our trip.....there is some thing about sea otters.....

Level Contributor
35,002 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Elkhorn tour

I hope you enjoy your time in Monterey! Where are you staying? We have spent alot of time in the area recently and have enjoyed great stays at The Best Western Beach Resort (4 nights) Hotel Pacific (one night) and The Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa (two nights.)

Some great restaurants in the area: Restaurant 1833, Crystal Fish, Schooner's Bistro on the Bay and The Sardine Factory. Enjoy your time there and please report back with your thoughts. :)

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Elkhorn tour

The Elkhorn Slough Safari Tour is a blast and a great way to see Elkhorn Slough (especially if you aren't into kayaking). You are almost guaranteed to see sea otters and seals. Captain Yohn Gideon is great and adds plenty of humor!

seemonterey.com/moss-landing-california/elkh…

http://www.elkhornslough.com/

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
233 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Elkhorn tour

We are staying at the Best Western Plus beach resort!! I have trying to find some resonable places to eat, got one coupon for Abalonetti Seafood but will look into yur suggestions. Plan to spend one day at the aquarium, a few hours at the Elkhorn Slough tour and the rest looking around.

How is the parking situatin around the aquarium? Is there any free parking? I do not mind spending $30 to visit the aquarium, but it bugs me to pay for parking!

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
872 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Elkhorn tour

the aquarium has a great cafe. Looks busier than heck, but tables move fast, and once you are seated (get your own food), it is very relaxing

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Elkhorn tour

Free parking is difficult to find around the aquarium but there are several parking garages where you can pay by the hour or pay a flat rate for the day.

There are several great restaurants around the Aquarium, on Cannery Row and Fisherman's Wharf. Johnny Rocket's, Bubba Gumps, Jose's Mexican Grill and Louie Linguini's are good options on Cannery Row. Abalonetti's and London Bridge Pub are also good and located on Fisherman's Wharf.

www.seemonterey.com/members/…

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,363 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Elkhorn tour

If you don't mind walking about half a mile, you can park on a side street off of Ocean View Blvd. in Pacific Grove for free. There are numbered streets--if you go to, say, 4th or 5th, you can usually find a spot. Just be sure that there are no signs indicating a time limit. You can go to Google maps and type in Pacific Grove, CA. The map that comes up will show where the aquarium is. Trace up along Ocean View Blvd, and you'll see where the numbered streets begin.

10. Re: Elkhorn tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2013, 10:17