We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Spanish Bay inn may1 need help

Bargersville...
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Going to Spanish Bay inn may1 need help

May 1-5, My husband and I will be staying at the spanish bay in pebble beach, he won the trip.. We have never been to Monterey/Pebble beach, these questions may sound stupid, any assistance would be appreciated, what is the dress attire at spanish inn,(jeans or dress casual), weather.com said temps are 65-68 that seems cool, and they have known to be wrong, can you usually wear shorts. We'll have a rent-a-car, any suggetions on what to do would be helpful(eat/entertainment,ect.. May 6-9 going to reno, directions on net stated 4 1/2hrs, is this actual time or are the highways extremely crowded, any input would be appreciated...

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
28,346 posts
6,001 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Spanish Bay inn may1 need help

First congratulations on winning the Spanish Bay Trip. It is a very nice hotel along the 17 mile drive. You can enjoy the ocean from there. The key thing is to check the weather forecast for Monterey and see what the weather is like (i.e. if its short or jean weather...it most likely will be jean weather during the day as its still early in the season, but check on something like www.weatherunderground.com before you go. Days jeans are fine; shorts depend on the weather. During the evening since its one of the better resorts, you;ll feel better to change into evening attire....business slacks, nice evening pant suit or dress.

Tons to do with the short list of must dos:

1) Monterey Aquarium

2) Drive from 17 mile drive to Big Sur (Pfeiffer State Park and back)

3) Pt. Lobos State Reserve

4) Drive to Santa Cruz and enjoy the boardwalk/wharf (note: its best to enjoy the boardwalk if you have a week-end day (Saturday or Sunday as the rides are going)

5) Shopping in Carmel

Other things to consider are:

1) Premium Outlet shopping in Gilroy

2) Bonfante Gardens

3) Roaring Camp -Railroad ride through the Redwoods a few miles north of Santa Cruz http://www.roaringcamp.com/

4) Big Basin State Park for the Redwoods.http://www.roaringcamp.com/

5) and lots more

Some of the lesser know things to do are

1) Mystery Spot http://www.mysteryspot.com/

2) Having dinner at Brookdale Lodge (Ghost,creek running through restaurant)

www.thecobrasnose.com/xxghost/santacruz.html

It will take the 4 1/2 hours from Monterey to Reno. Its 317 miles away or at 60 miles an hour 5 hour drive. It will take more time if there is traffic.

Enjoy your trip.

Bargersville...
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Spanish Bay inn may1 need help

Thanks mini! I'm glad that I posted this, you were very helpful. appreciate the assistance.

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
878 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Spanish Bay inn may1 need help

You are going to love it here. I would love to win a trip to Spanish bay and live just around the corner.

Mini had some good advice

However, I would skip going north of Monterey, such as gilroy, Santa Cruz, and go south to big sur, and may even have time for herst Castle with four days, but that would be a bit rushed. Depends on your energy level.

Bargersville...
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Spanish Bay inn may1 need help

Herst Castle? Whers's that at, how far from monterey...

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,381 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Spanish Bay inn may1 need help

Early May is one of our nicest times of year, but it never gets hot here. I think the forecast of mid-6os is reasonable, although it could get into the 70s. Weather.com lets you check the 10-day forecast, so you can get an idea of what to expect before you pack. This is California--so casual is just fine. As Mini said, business casual is fine for evenings at Spanish Bay. If you eat in town (Pacific Grove, Monterey, Carmel), then you can probably wear jeans unless you go to a more upscale restaurant.