We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Much Time???

MISSOURI
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
How Much Time???

We plan on being in Monterey on June 1st, Friday.

We want to do one of the Whale Watching Tours, heres my question.....

There are several to choose from and some stay out for 2-3 hr and some stay out 4-5 hrs, so which one is better??

I know they cant predict what we are going to see, if any whales.....I understand that, and I know the weather can be a issue so I am just hoping for a sunny day, but is 3hrs enough or is it better to have 5hrs? This is something that we have never done and probably wont be doing any time soon.

Does it get boring if you are out there longer than 3 hrs?

We have all day in Monterey so time really isnt a issue, I just dont know which is a better choice, and my husband is of no help!

Anyone done either of these and have some insite to share!!!

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,227 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How Much Time???

I wouldn't do a tour any longer than 3 hours. Just be sure to go in the morning when spotting whales is more likely. Be prepared for fog or marine layer with a June visit.

MISSOURI
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How Much Time???

We thought the first tour of the day would be a wise one, I plan on booking that for sure, when I figure out which one I am going to go with!!!

They all have good reviews, and so much just depends on the big fishy's themselves!!! I would just hate to get out there and only have a short amount of time and not see any =( or is that a rare thing that you dont see anything?

Where would a good hotel be, to park at and walk to the wharf, or is it just as easy to park at the Wharf and pay to park there?

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,227 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How Much Time???

I went whale watching once out of Morro Bay, but didn't see any whales at all!! I do think Monterey is one of the better places for whale watching, though. Not sure how many whales will be present in June, but there's always some whale movement going on up and down the coast. I would just pay to park at the wharf. It's pretty cheap and it's convenient.

www.montereywhalewatching.com

MISSOURI
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How Much Time???

Is there a "best" place to be on the boat, or does everyone just run around and push their way to the rail to get pictures? Or is it...like you stake out your spot and thats your spot the whole cruise? I LOVE taking pictures and am not one of those rude people that will be pushy and step in front of people.....so I can get pretty mad when people do that to me!!!!

Just wondering what I should be prepared for!!!! LOL =)

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,227 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How Much Time???

I guess it depends on how many people are on the boat with you when you go out. I don't remember being confined to one spot when I went whale watching, but, again, it was Morro Bay. Monterey probably sees a larger crowd.

Modesto, California
Level Contributor
35 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How Much Time???

We noticed that the Princess Whale Tour was a big boat and just packed with people. So we decided to book with Chris's Whales. It was like a 3-hour tour, maybe half-hour more, but it was plenty of time. They all know (meaning "all" of the tours) right where the whales are because they have radios and each boat will listen to where the sightings are and then head over to them. We were lucky and happened to see a couple whales. What we noticed was the two littler boats could get up closer to the whales than the bigger boats. Nobody was pushing or shoving. We took the tour last August. It was so hot outside, and we booked the first tour of the day. When we started going out to sea, it was really, really cold. So dress warm. Also, if I did it again, I'd just sit inside the cabin because you don't see much going out, plus it's so cold it's hard to enjoy (unless you enjoy the colder weather). Then when they get to where the whales are, just get out of the cabin and walk to where you can see and start snapping your pictures. It was a lot of fun and everybody was very polite. We liked it so much we'd do it again. Have fun.

MISSOURI
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How Much Time???

Thanks for the info!!

This is one thing that my husband and myself are really looking forward to doing, I was looking at Chris's and Monterey Bay!

I will book the first tour of the morning no matter which one we go with!!

Does anyone have any tips about taking pictures, is there any chance water can get it(assumeing you dont drop it)....wasn't sure if I should bring a towel or something. I love pictures so I will be crossing my fingers and toes, hoping that we see a lot of activity!!!! =:^D

Modesto, California
Level Contributor
35 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How Much Time???

We didn't notice the water splashing into the boat at all. When we got to the whales, the boat just came to a complete stop and floated there so we all could watch and take pictures. It was so exciting to be able to hear the whales breathing. I think you'll have a good time. I do have to say that when we got onto the boat, all the places to sit down were wet. My hubby took his jacket off and let me sit on it so I wouldn't get my pants wet. (Such a nice guy!!) But other than that, I didn't notice the water splashing into the boat where a camera would get wet. Hope this helps. Have a great time.

Modesto, California
Level Contributor
35 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How Much Time???

One more thing. I don't know how long you're going to be there, but we just walked up to "all" of the whale tours and talked to each of them. They "all" told us we could book that day for the next morning. We felt more comfortable checking them all out before making our decision which one to book.

10. Re: How Much Time???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 13:16