We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drive time to SFO from Monterey

Which Monterey hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
jwr
Houston, tx
Level Contributor
362 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
drive time to SFO from Monterey

I have a week-day flight leaving back home out of SFO at 1pm....Can I safely stay in Monterey the prior night....leave Monterey at, say 8am....and still easily make my 1pm SFO departure??....would I still have time to take in the 'scenic route' and drive thru Santa Cruz, get a quick look at the boardwalk....and maybe also a quick stop at Half Moon Bay??....if I left at 7am???...figure I need to be in the airport vicinity by 11am at the latest....thanks

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: drive time to SFO from Monterey

If you do leave at 7am you should be ok. Not sure what will be open that early around the Boardwalk but you can do that if you like and get to SFO by 11

jwr
Houston, tx
Level Contributor
362 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: drive time to SFO from Monterey

thanks for the info....would a better option be to push on from Monterey and stay in Santa Cruz the final night? so would then be leaving from Santa Cruz early....say around 7-7:30am and wanted to take a quick look at Half Moon Bay to still be at the airport by 10:30am....

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: drive time to SFO from Monterey

Sure why not or just leave a little early from Monterey instead of changing hotels. It all depends on what you want to do the last evening and if you like to change hotels

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,723 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: drive time to SFO from Monterey

Santa Cruz is only 45 minutes from Monterey. I wouldn't change hotels. Also, not much to see in Half Moon Bay, IMO. The drive "to" it is where the scenery is.

Then take Hwy 92 up to Hwy 280, go north and watch for the Hwy 380 "airport" exit.

jwr
Houston, tx
Level Contributor
362 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: drive time to SFO from Monterey

thanks again...the advantage of going on to Santa Cruz would be to minimize the weekday traffic problem...need to be at SFO by 10:30am and don't want to get bogged down in rush hour traffic, risking missing the flight

the other thought was being able to see the Santa Cruz boardwalk area that night...rather than just a quick drive-by look-see at 8am on a weekday morning....so, Santa Cruz boardwalk....worth the effort of changing hotels?? and after Santa Cruz, just continue up the coast for a pleasant, scenic drive, with no need of stopping anywhere else? (ie, no major attractions/viewpoints before heading over to SFO)

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,723 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: drive time to SFO from Monterey

Sure, come to Santa Cruz. The ideal hotel would be the Dream Inn, a block from the Boardwalk with every room having a view of the Bay.

Others I can recommend would be the Sea and Sand, next door to the DI, or the Seaway Inn , across the street from it.

Then just go up Hwy 1 to Half Mood Bay and take Hwy 92 to Hwy 280, then north to the airport exit, Hwy 380. You should not have traffic on Hwy 1.

sgrace is correct about traffic on Hwy 1 before Santa Cruz and the Hwy 17 intersection on weekday mornings. That stretch of road is under construction and there will be commute traffic wanting to get on Hwy 17. Another good reason to be in Santa Cruz the night before your flight and then just go up Hwys 1,92,280,380.

7. Re: drive time to SFO from Monterey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 03:18