We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plaza or Intercontinenal for special occasion?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Plaza or Intercontinenal for special occasion?

I will be spending 1 night in Monterey with my wife and I wanted to make it special. I want a lovely room and a great spa. I am curious what you would recommend - the oceanfront balcony at the plaza and their spa or the oceanfront/ spa at the intercontinental. Thank you!

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,359 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Plaza or Intercontinenal for special occasion?

I used to work at the Plaza, so I'm biased. But I've seen the rooms at both properties, and the Plaza's are definitely more romantic with warm colors and fairly plush furniture. The Clement (a.k.a. Intercontinental) went for a rather sterile, high-tech look for their room decor.

The Clement is at the busy, touristy end of Cannery Row, right next to the aquarium. The Plaza is at the quiet end of Cannery Row. The Plaza also has views of both the harbor and the bay, while the Clement only has bay views.

Given your need for something romantic, the Plaza is the better choice. (But again, I'm biased.)

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,385 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Plaza or Intercontinenal for special occasion?

I second the Plaza, but if you want something truly romantic, look at the Seven Gables Inn in neighboring Pacific Grove. They likely have a spa package.

www.pginns.com

Level Contributor
35,434 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Plaza or Intercontinenal for special occasion?

I would go with the Plaza. Their rooftop spa area is awesome with beautiful views. We have celebrated several special occasions there.

Have fun! :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Plaza or Intercontinenal for special occasion?

Thank you all so very much! We've never been to California and since I'm trying to convince her to agree to move there the better I pamper her the better I'll be!

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Plaza or Intercontinenal for special occasion?

I agree--the Plaza. The setting is nicer, the rooms are larger, and their patio overlooking the water is bigger and prettier.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,884 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Plaza or Intercontinenal for special occasion?

I'm with kibblesmom on a PG B&B.

Or I'd suggest the Tickle PInk Inn ot The Highlands Inn in Carmel Highlands.

http://www.ticklepinkinn.com/

highlandsinn.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,359 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Plaza or Intercontinenal for special occasion?

Oh, MiketyMike, if you're thinking of moving here you need to take this qualifying quiz. It's mandatory. ;-) montereypeninsula.info/amusements/localquiz.…

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,385 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Plaza or Intercontinenal for special occasion?

And what part of California are you trying to talk your wife into moving to? Not all of California is desirable. We have some real armpit cities/towns. Believe me, I know. I used to live in one of them, lol!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Plaza or Intercontinenal for special occasion?

We currently live in NYC and I hate it. I've lived here my entire life (minus college) but I just never feel relaxed. We're going to get a vibe for the lifestyle and see what transpires from there! We're both big foodies (not snobby) and so SF potentially could be our home. If i'm going to pay and arm and a leg for a home I'd rather it be located with better food and weather!

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,385 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Plaza or Intercontinenal for special occasion?

San Francisco is a beautiful city. It has its problems, but what city/town doesn't? If you decide to relocate there, be sure to PM some of the locals to get an idea of what neighborhoods work for your lifestyle.