We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Super 8 Monterey Carmel or Comfort Inn by the Sea?

Sidney, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Super 8 Monterey Carmel or Comfort Inn by the Sea?

I am planning a California road trip and wish to spend two nights in Monterey. I do not want to spend a fortune on hotels but don't want to stay anywhere thats tired looking, not clean or in a poor location. We are arriving for the second week of September and the two subj properties have decent reviews, have a pool and free breakfast. Would anyone one know what is the better of the two? Which one would have the better rooms? Both are showing a AAA rate of around $75.00. Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,312 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Super 8 Monterey Carmel or Comfort Inn by the Sea?

$75 is a pretty "budget" rate for Monterey.

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,393 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Super 8 Monterey Carmel or Comfort Inn by the Sea?

There's a "Comfort Inn Monterey by the Sea" on Munras Avenue in Monterey, and a "Comfort Inn Carmel By the Sea" on Ocean Avenue and Torres in Carmel. Given your price quote, I'm assuming the one in Monterey as Carmel is liable to be more expensive.

The Super 8 is also on Munras Avenue. I can't speak to these motels specifically, but Munras Avenue is an area known as "motel row." The area is safe, and there isn't much to distinguish one motel from another. Quality is generally good, and I've never heard anything bad about any motels in this neighborhood. The two motels are only a block apart, so neither has a location advantage. The street is Monterey's main north-south artery, so it's quite busy. It's a central location with downtown Monterey and the waterfront being about 5 minutes away by car to the north, while Carmel is about 7 minutes over the hill in the opposite direction.

However, if you can get a good price on the Carmel Comfort Inn, the village of Carmel would be the most pleasant setting to stay.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,130 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Super 8 Monterey Carmel or Comfort Inn by the Sea?

Most of the motels on Munras are clean and relatively comfortable -- they won't be luxurious, but will be a decent value. We often stay at Comfort Inns and are quite happy with them. Free breakfasts (usually not too ) are a nice perk.

We stayed at one of the motels on Munras on our honeymoon 42 years ago and found the location quite convenient for exploring the sights in downtown Monterey, Cannery Row and Carmel. You probably won't spend much time in your room, so a rate of $75 gives you more cash to spend on meals and shopping. Have fun!

4. Re: Super 8 Monterey Carmel or Comfort Inn by the Sea?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2014, 05:18