We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another question re the trip between San Jose and Monterey

arkansas
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Another question re the trip between San Jose and Monterey

When we arrive in San Jose, we will have been flying for about 6 hours. We'll be tired and hungry and would like to eat someplace before driving to Monterey. I asked on the San Jose forum if there were restaurants nearby and the consensus was that we should eat either at the airport or one of hotels close by. Those would be great options if we were eating before a flight, but I think after landing we'd prefer getting our car and at least putting a little distance between us and the airport. We've never been to San Jose, only driven through.

Do you think we should eat in the airport or a hotel nearby? Or is there someplace else that might have a little less than an airport vibe?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,674 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another question re the trip between San Jose and Monterey

tripadvisor.com/…51092402

Have you done research via yelp to see what food you want to eat. You posted in the SJ forum and got some answers. Not sure what the Monterey folks (most TA regulars answer questions in multiple fora) can add

If you want to eat in downtown San Jose, be our guest. You have to park and find a place to eat there. If you want to eat at chain restaurants along the 101 route, do that as well.

The road from SJC on 101 goes through South San Jose which is known for its ethnic restaurants and then you hit Morgan Hill and Gilroy

Only you can decide where you want to eat.

arkansas
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Another question re the trip between San Jose and Monterey

Wow! As I said in my post, the consensus of the SJ board was for me to eat in or around the airport. I was simply asking here if anyone else had other suggestions. There are LOTS of food boards, just as there are LOTS of travel boards. In this case I was asking for specifics of locals and/or frequent visitors..I've seen "recommendations" that I know to be patently false - some here on TA.

As for TA regulars, I was one of the original DEs for Key West back when we were called local experts. I understand how frustrating it can be when people ask the same questions over and over. In Key West, it's questions about beaches. The answer is "the keys are coral and 99% of beaches are man-made and small."

I said that - and continue to say it - lots of times.

"If you want to eat in downtown San Jose, be our guest. You have to park and find a place to eat there. If you want to eat at chain restaurants along the 101 route, do that as well." I think this is one of the snarkiest posts I've ever seen. If you want to be angry, or think I've asked a dumb question...why reply?

I've replied to a lot of stupider posts with much more indulgence and charity.

Edited: 07 July 2013, 18:57
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,674 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another question re the trip between San Jose and Monterey

>>>In this case I was asking for specifics of locals and/or frequent visitors.

Were you asking for something specific ? If you had a specific question as a follow up then I am sure you would have gotten a more pointed answer. Should you eat at or around the airport or should you eat enroute ? Humm. Only you can decide that based on how tired or hungry you are ? If you want a specific suggestion going in the direction of Monterey, we can help. You had Al give you a suggestion about Santa Clara.

I don't it -- you ask the SJ forum and I guess you don't like the answers or you want more so you post in the Monterey forum about San Jose ?

Edited: 07 July 2013, 19:14
arkansas
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Another question re the trip between San Jose and Monterey

No, I was not asking for something specific, but the majority of the responses I got from SJ recommended we eat in or near the airport. Had I anticipated that response, I probably would've asked for someplace outside the airport area. I've traveled a fair amount but have never stopped to eat a meal in an airport after arrival, therefore I didn't consider it an option. I was not asking: should I eat in the airport? should I eat in a hotel near the airport? should I eat midway between SJ and Monterey? No. My question - to me, at least - was pretty basic. Are there any restaurants near?

It also didn't seem to me to be out of line to ask in the Monterey forum, since I've asked other questions there. If you don't get it, I'm sorry. I've never thought of TA being one forum competing with another...in fact, most forums I'm familiar with are really compatible.

Edited: 07 July 2013, 19:35
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,674 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another question re the trip between San Jose and Monterey

Dear OP -- Do you need some specific help on food ? As I mentioned, there are ethnic restaurants south of San Jose in "Little Saigon' . there is also a small japantown. there are many taquerias as well.

Downtown SJ is not far but depending on when you come in you will have to look for parking and then find a place to eat . Lot of options in that area that the SJ forum can help you on.

If you go on 101 South, after San Jose you hit Morgan Hill and Gilroy and they have more chain restaurants.

Let's get you the help you need. There is no competition. You are missing the point. Most of the people who respond reply to posts in both fora -- that is my point

arkansas
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Another question re the trip between San Jose and Monterey

Thanks, belomiser, but I'm just as tired of this thread as I'm sure you are! We've been traveling since long before TA and managed to get around; I'm sure we'll be fine. Now let's take a break and go on to something else.

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,360 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Another question re the trip between San Jose and Monterey

There aren't many dining options between SJ and Monterey, except chain restaurants and fast food along the freeway. So eating at or near the airport is probably sound advice.

One option might be to stop in San Juan Bautista, a few miles off the freeway about 40 minutes south of San Jose. It's a historic town with a mission, and several Mexican restaurants. I can't recommend any in particular because I don't know them that well. It also might be a little farther than you want to go before eating.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,176 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Another question re the trip between San Jose and Monterey

On the San Jose thread, you said,

>>> We'll be on our way to Monterey, but will be ready to eat something **before we begin our road trip**.

Given that statement of course we recommended that you eat at or near the airport You were given a couple of suggestions for a hotel near the airport, but also some suggestions in San Jose, one near Santa Clara University, or the Mission, I forget, and one to drive down the Alameda. San Jose is a very large city, and if you wanted to eat between San Jose and Monterey, you did not communicate that. Indeed, exactly the opposite.

And, as Mr. Toy told you, there are not many restaurants except for chains on this route. Not many of us could recommend one since we probably don't patronize them. My suggestion, since you have changed your mind about eating before you begin the road trip would be to get off the freeway at Gilroy, which is about 30 miles south, and pick a restaurant which appeals to you. There is also a large discount shopping outlet there, if you are interested.

Have a nice trip.

arkansas
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Another question re the trip between San Jose and Monterey

Thanks, Mr. Toy! A lot of our plans depend on how I'm feeling: I'm in rehab for a spinal injury. So at this point I think it's best to play everything by ear and hope for the best :)

arkansas
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Another question re the trip between San Jose and Monterey

puter? "Thanks, belomiser, but I'm just as tired of this thread as I'm sure you are! We've been traveling since long before TA and managed to get around; I'm sure we'll be fine. Now let's take a break and go on to something else."

Have you ever heard of beating a dead horse? I hope you have something better to do than this. I honest to god have never experienced such animosity, either on or travel or anything else.