We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pezzini Farms - artichokes

Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
987 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Pezzini Farms - artichokes

We would love to stop by here on the way back to SF next week after spending 2 days in Monterey. Are there fresh artichokes at this time of year? Is the food truck there every day?

Thanks in advance.

Level Contributor
35,264 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pezzini Farms - artichokes

We love this place! The food truck is there every day.... best carne asada tacos in the area! :).

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pezzini Farms - artichokes

Artichoke season is late spring (peaks in May according to Wikipedia). Can't say I've seen any in the stores recently.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
19,733 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pezzini Farms - artichokes

Have not seen them either. Perhaps contact them directly?

Email: info@pezzinifarms.com

Call Toll Free:

1-800-347-6118

It's vague here as it says starting in September...

http://www.pezzinifarms.com/news.php?newsid=3

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,072 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pezzini Farms - artichokes

Hmmm.....we have artichokes in the store. I have been told that here we have two seasons, spring and fall/winter. One of my sources says that in the coastal valleys of northern CA (i.e. Castroville, he "artichoke capital of the world") they are harvested year round. Although I have heard that the fall/winter crop is not as abundant. In Santa Cruz, I cannot remember ever not seeing them in the produce section of the market, although the price does go up and down. Pezzini Farms website seems to show that you can order them anytime.

Monterey Bay...
Level Contributor
864 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pezzini Farms - artichokes

There are 2 main artichoke seasons. I drove by Pezzini's on Friday and there were chokes in the surrounding fields looking ready to be picked. I've been buying them at a good price at a couple local grocery stores.

Food truck is there all the time. Although deep fried is not my favorite way to eat them, they are good!! Worth a stop.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
282 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pezzini Farms - artichokes

I've only tried artichokes marinated in a jar but I really like them. I'ld love to try them whole but not sure I could convince the family to take time out of the trip to go visit artichokes. They would think I was mad.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,621 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pezzini Farms - artichokes

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm. Artichokes. One of the main reasons to live in California is to be able to get fresh artichokes all the time.

Many restaurants around artichoke country should have artichoke specialties on the menu, if you want to try them but don't have a way to prepare and cook them while on vacation. A restaurant called Duarte's (pronounced "due-arts") in Pescadero, between Santa Cruz and Half Moon Bay, has cream of artichoke soup which is very good.

Can you get them in Australia? I think they would be one of the California products that ship well, because they don't spoil quickly and aren't easily bruised. After all, California gets fruit from Chile that's a lot more fragile than artichokes.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,129 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pezzini Farms - artichokes

Agree with FRR. Worth trying artichokes and you should see them on the menu in that area. Yes bottled ones are ok but try them steamed and then dip in aioli. That is how we have them at home

I would recommend folks go out of the way to have that over some clam chowder bowls in FW and in Disney Ca adventure

Edited: 04 November 2013, 02:34
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
282 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pezzini Farms - artichokes

Frisco Roadrunner, we do see artichokes sometimes in the supermarkets here but I don't really see anyone buying them and they are not a popular dish in restaurants. I think if you went to a traditional Italian place you might find them but not in mainstream dining. They look a bit daunting to cook....

I will definitely look out for them in restaurants. If you have them steamed and dip in aioli are they more like an appetiser than a main meal (which you call entree, right?)?

I love to try local dishes where possible so any ideas of other things to look out for are appreciated. I have seen mention of Dungaree Crab but I don't think we will be there in season (Oct).

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pezzini Farms - artichokes

I wish I could recommend the artichoke soup at Duarte's. However it's like wall paper paste and has very little artichoke flavor. The place is still popular -- living on its rep I suppose.