We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 nights in Monterey or 3?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
78 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
2 nights in Monterey or 3?

My 12 year old son and I are arriving in Monterey for a drive down rt. 1. We will arrive at night and plan to spend the next two full days in Monterey and then travel south. Our first big stop after Monterey will be in Big Sur for the Pfeiffer Big Sur State park and Julia Pfeiffier Burns state parks. My question is: are we better off leaving Montery and spending the night in the Big Sur area so we can continue on south, or commuting down to Big Sur and back up for an additional night in Monterey? I know they are not THAT far...? Are there good hotel options in the Big Sur area?

Any hotel recommendations on Monterey? We are budget travelers. We like hotels that offer a breakfast, but it's not a deal braker if they don't.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,398 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 nights in Monterey or 3?

Most of the lodgings in the Big Sur area are rustic: cabins, campgrounds, etc. You don't say when you're coming, but it goes without saying that summer and special event weekends/time periods will see higher lodging rates. Since you want to spend 2 full days in Monterey and will be arriving at night, then you'll need 3 nights for seeing the sights in/around Monterey. See Big Sur on Day 4 as you make your way down the coast. I would NOT spend one of your Monterey days driving down to Big Sur and backtracking back to Monterey. You can comfortably see the sights along the Big Sur coast en route to a destination further south, like Cambria, Morro Bay, Pismo Beach, etc.

Many Best Westerns offer a continental type breakfast in a small lounge area.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
78 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 nights in Monterey or 3?

Thank you! I'm at the point on my planning where I'm getting overwhelmed lol! There is so much to do and see, but we don't have the time I wish we had.

We are coming (Friday)April 18th and need to be in Anahiem by Tues night the 22nd. Friday and Sat nights in Monterey. I think we are going to spend one night (Monday) in the Santa Barbara area. So that leaves one free night (Sunday) I'm thinking maybe in the Cambria area? If we stay in Monterey instead I feel we will be very rushed Montery-Santa Barbara in the one day.

This may be a silly question-the state parks will be open on Easter Sunday won't they?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,565 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 nights in Monterey or 3?

2 Monterey and 1 Cambria and then a short drive to Santa Barbara and down to Anaheim

Yes parks are open

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,359 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 nights in Monterey or 3?

I agree with Kibbles that breaking up your trip down the coast with an overnight in Big Sur is a good idea. Highway 1 can be rather slow going in places (you'll probably average 35 MPH over the entire drive), so it might get a bit tedious for a 12 year old doing it all in one day.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,398 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 nights in Monterey or 3?

Actually, I didn't suggest an overnight in Big Sur. I suggested seeing the sights of Big Sur en route to somewhere further south to budget the distances out better.

Fri-Sat: Monterey

Sun: Cambria, Morro Bay or Pismo Beach

Mon: Santa Barbara or Goleta

Edited: 17 January 2014, 15:39
Level Contributor
35,452 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 nights in Monterey or 3?

If you are a budget traveler, consider The Borg Oceanfront Motel in Pacific Grove. It is around $100/night and right across the street from a beautiful stretch of coastline and Lover's Point Park. You can walk to Cannery Row from this hotel also.

If you want to stay right on the beach, check out The Best Western Beach Resort. You will have to drive a bit to get to downtown Monterey from this hotel. They have an outdoor pool and a restaurant on-site. :)

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,359 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 nights in Monterey or 3?

Oops, I read it wrong. Sorry!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
78 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 nights in Monterey or 3?

Thanks everyone! The trip is set. The first 2 nights in Monterey. Night 3 in Cambria. Night 4 in Santa Barbara (Really Ventura), with the last 3 in Anaheim. Syrahgirl I wish I saw your post earlier. I eneded up booking the Stage Coach Lodge for Moneterey. It had such good reviews here on TA, I just went for it.

So excited for my trip!! Thanks so much for all the advice!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,167 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 nights in Monterey or 3?

Did you book the Stagecoach with a non-cancellable reservation?

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,359 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 nights in Monterey or 3?

As motels go, the Stage Coach is decent, but are you aware it overlooks a four-lane freeway off-ramp?

On the positive side, it's just a block from Lake El Estero, which is a pretty park.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info