We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with itineary

Which Monterey hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bakersfield...
Level Contributor
262 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Need help with itineary

My husband and i are planning 3-4 days in Monetery/carmel at the end of April. Usually we have teens tagging along but this time it's just the two of us so we don't need to be kid friendly. Husband has both Marriott and Hilton points so which would be the best hotel???? We also want to include the Carmel food tour and a Segeway tour at Monterey. We like hiking (although only short hikes). We we be travelling from Bakersfield and doing the loop to Monterey inland then down the coast to Cambria back to Bakerfield. So far we have planned.

DAY 1. Leave Bakersfield arrive Monterey around noon, afternoon point Lomas

DAY 2 Monterey sedgeway tour, cannery row

DAY 3 Carmel including Food tour

DAY 4 leave early - Drive back to Bakersfield via coast and Big Sur. Stopping at sites.

Any suggestions to add???

thanks

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,340 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with itineary

If it's between the Marriott and Hilton, the Marriott is without question the better hotel.

The Marriott is downtown in a very walkable neighborhood, close to restaurants, countless historic sites, and the ever popular wharf and harbor. At ten stories tall it is the tallest building in Monterey and has decent views on all sides. The interior is also prettier than the Hilton.

The Hilton is sandwiched between the freeway and a community college, has no views, and you can't walk to anything.

If you like short hikes, we have a LOT of nice places for that! I describe many of them in my "unofficial" (non-commercial) visitors guide. www.montereypeninsula.info/guide/mryintro.htm Scroll down to the links for "Walking & Hiking" and "The Best Beaches" (paying particular attention to the sections on Asilomar Beach and Carmel River Beach Part II).

And I think for Day 1 you're thinking of Point Lobos (not Lomas), a definite must-see. You might want to pick up sandwiches for a Point Lobos picnic at the Safeway on Highway 1 and Rio Road, which is right on the way. There are three areas of the park with picnic tables, which the Ranger can direct you to when you enter the park.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with itineary

The drive down the coast could take a full day if you stop at many of the sites listed at tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c182762/Califo…

Bakersfield...
Level Contributor
262 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with itineary

Just found out big Sur Marathon is 25th April - should we avoid that weekend?

4. Re: Need help with itineary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2015, 07:19