We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finalizing itineray

Which Monterey hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bakersfield...
Level Contributor
262 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Finalizing itineray

So far we have

Travelling early May. Staying at Marriott (we have points) We are in our early to mid 50's. No kids on this trip. Celebrating 30th Anniversary.

1. Leave Bakersfield around 8:00am Friday

2. Arrive Monterery do Point Lobas walk then check out Cannery row and wharf and dinner

3. Saturday - Spend the day in Carmel (we have booked 3hr gourmet food tour 11-2pm) stay in Carmel all day and for dinner

4. Sunday we have booked Segway tour 17 miles Dr. 10-1pm. lunch, then drive home.

My questions are:

1. where should we pick up a deli style lunch to take on our hike of Point Lobos

2. Which trail should we take ( no longer than 3 miles round trip). With limited time which is the must do hike? probably spend 2-3 hrs

3. We have only one night in Monterey for dinner so where should we eat dinner. Something maybe with piano bar or should we eat then go to piano bar. Don't want a late night so something with a piano bar that starts before 11:00pm.

4. Is Cannery row open late Fri nights?

Is this ok should we add/delete anything.

Level Contributor
34,979 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Finalizing itineray

We had an excellent dinner at Schooner's Coastal Kitchen last night after our spa time at Vista Blue. I highly recommend a meal here. Beautiful views also! It's gorgeous here in Pacific Grove. :).

Bakersfield...
Level Contributor
262 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Finalizing itineray

This is def on my short list but was wondering if lunch or dinner would be better to enjoy the view? Travelling early May not sure what time gets dark then.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,345 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Finalizing itineray

We have done that food tour, and really had a great time. Our guide was knowledgeable, and it was fun to walk around Carmel with someone who had a lot of local knowledge.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,018 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Finalizing itineray

"...1. where should we pick up a deli style lunch to take on our hike of Point Lobos"...

Bruno's Deli in Carmel

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"....2. Which trail should we take ( no longer than 3 miles round trip). With limited time which is the must do hike? probably spend 2-3 hrs

Cypress Grove Trail

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"...We have only one night in Monterey for dinner so where should we eat dinner. Something maybe with piano bar or should we eat then go to piano bar. Don't want a late night so something with a piano bar that starts before 11:00pm."...

Not sure of anyplace in Monterey with a piano bar. I know Mission Ranch Inn has one. Perhaps dinner there and stay for the music?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"...4. Is Cannery row open late Fri nights? "...

Some of the bars, yes. Shops? Not sure. It isn't full on tourist season quite yet in early May.

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Finalizing itineray

1. where should we pick up a deli style lunch to take on our hike of Point Lobos?

Bruno's suggested above is your best bet. To find it take highway 1 south from Monterey. Turn right at Ocean Avenue (2nd traffic signal after the freeway ends). Ocean Avenue has a steep hill just before you reach the business district. There's a 5-way stop at the bottom of the hill. Turn right there onto Junipero. Bruno's is on the next corner.

To get back on the highway get back on Junipero and keep going south past Ocean Avenue, through the woods, and eventually you'll run into Rio Road (It's a Y shaped intersection and you'll approach from the top right part of the Y). Going more or less straight will put you onto Rio Road. Follow Rio Road past the Mission to Highway 1. Turn right on Highway 1 and Point Lobos will be about two miles or so away. (If this sounds too complicated, just backtrack up Ocean Avenue, but you'll miss seeing the Mission.)

If you're short on time, Safeway at Highway 1 and Rio Road (4th and final stoplight) is a good second choice and it's right on the way.

2. Which trail should we take ( no longer than 3 miles round trip). With limited time which is the must do hike? probably spend 2-3 hrs

You could walk the perimeter of the entire park in less than 3 hours. It's pretty compact. Cypress Grove Trail is the best. It is also pretty short. Shouldn't take more than 20 minutes at a leisurely pace.

But first you'll need a picnic table. They're in three areas, Whalers Cove (first right after the entrance), Piney Woods, (in the center of the park), and the China Cove/Bird Island parking lot at the end of the road. NOTE: Park rules allow picnicking only in these three areas. There's no view at Piney Woods, so pick one of the other two. There are some pretty dramatic trails adjacent to both spots so it's hard to recommend one over the other. I might give a slight preference to the North Shore Trail which starts at Whalers Cove and ends where the Cypress Grove loop begins.

3. We have only one night in Monterey for dinner so where should we eat dinner. Something maybe with piano bar or should we eat then go to piano bar. Don't want a late night so something with a piano bar that starts before 11:00pm.

I second Syragirl's recommendation of Schooners. It's in the Monterey Plaza Hotel at the quiet end of Cannery Row. It has great bay and harbor views and consistent high-quality food. (Disclaimer: I used to work at the Plaza so I'm biased.)

I don't know of any piano bars in Monterey, either. There's a fair a mount of live music around Monterey, Sly McFly's on Cannery Row is a popular spot, but most of it may be more loud and lively than you're looking for.

4. Is Cannery row open late Fri nights?

Probably not everything, but some shops and several clubs should be.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,922 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Finalizing itineray

>> I might give a slight preference to the North Shore Trail which starts at Whalers Cove and ends where the Cypress Grove loop begins.<>

+1 on this trail. It's a Friday so it shouldn't be too busy. Park at Whaler Cove and picnic there (should be lunch time by then). Check out the exhibits before heading on the North Coast Trail to the Cypress Trail and Bird Island before heading back. I am pretty sure I have done this loop within 3 hrs before. Have a great visit and look for wildlife below in the coves... otters, seals, birds are usually there if you look closely.

Level Contributor
34,979 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Finalizing itineray

Lunch would be at the more casual venue, Schooner's Bistro. Beautiful views there also. :)

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
3,877 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Finalizing itineray

Terry's Lounge in Carmel has piano music on the weekends. One caveat, you may find lots of dogs enjoying the music too :)

Level Contributor
34,979 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Finalizing itineray

Terry's has very good food also. The short ribs are excellent here! :)

Bakersfield...
Level Contributor
262 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Finalizing itineray

thank you everyone for your input. Looking forward to our trip.