We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale Watching Tour

Hastings, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Whale Watching Tour

Hello there, I am going to be in Carmel & Monterey for 2 weeks in mid July till mid Aug. I will be in Monterey in August and are wanting to do a Whale Watching tour. Could someone suggest which tour is the best. I know they will all be great but..... Oh would the morning tour be better than an afternoon one ? I know it depends on the weather also. Thanks.

I am doing a Historic Monterey Walking tour with a guide,Cannery Row,the Aquarium,Monterey Movie Tour. Can someone also suggest any other ideas ? It is either on foot or public transport.

I will be doing a walk in Point Lobos & Andrew Molera while staying in Carmel.

I am female,travelling alone & 45 years old. I am staying in a hotel central area.

Thanks for your time.

Clint.

boston
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale Watching Tour

All of the companies travel to the same area, and I believe they communicate with each oter as well. Monterey Bay Whale Watch was great, and their scheduled time is about 1/2 longer than at least one of the others (winter season). As for the timing it really just depends on the day. Sometimes the wind picks up a little bit more in the afternoon.

If you are into wildlife and being on the water, I highly recommend taking a kayak tour of Elkhorn Slough. So many animals, like no other experience on land!

Hastings, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale Watching Tour

Thank you Laura for your help & suggestions. Appreciated.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale Watching Tour

One of my favorite things to do in the area is sit on Carmel beach at sunset with a bottle of wine. You're allowed alcohol and a warming fire there - heaven (south of 10th street, I think). If you like wine, there is some good wine tasting in Carmel Valley (and Cafe Rustica is my favorite pre or post wine tasting spot for lunch). I love Pavel's Backerei in Pacific Grove or Paris Bakery in Monterey for a quick breakfast or sandwhich. 17 Mile Drive is very pretty (grab a sandwhich from one of the places and enjoy at one of the stops along the way!) - but does cost about $10 I think. The Pebble Beach Equestrian Center has reasonably priced trail rides with awesome views (and then you would get into Pebble Beach for free and be able to do 17 Mile Drive, too). If you're going to Andrew Molera, go a bit further and stop for a meal or drink at Nepenthe in Big Sur. The view cannot be beat. Also, there is a rec trail (bicycle and walking) that you can catch at the Warf and walk all the way past Cannery Row to Lover's Point in Pacific Grove. It's a lovely walk. Point Lobos is a wonderful choice. If you're into hiking, there is also Jack's Peak, Garrapata and Garland Ranch to check out. All different, and all wonderful. Oh - something I just discovered recently - you can do an airpline or helicopter ride over the area out of Watsonville (close to where Elkhorn Slough is). It's incredible, really. I used Specialized Aviation. Two seafood restaurant favorites are Passionfish in Pacific Grove and Phil's Fish Market in Moss Landing (Passionfish is fancier - Phil's you order at a counter. Both are wonderful with fresh fish. I'd avoid the Cannery Row and Warf tourist traps if possible). Have a great time! Wishing you lots of sea otter sightings!

Indianapolis...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale Watching Tour

Hi Clint4,

I spent some time in the Carmel / Monterey / Big Sur area last year with my wife. On top of what is already on your list and what has already been mentioned, here's a couple more ideas:

1. Kayak in Monterey. We went on a guided tour with Monterey Bay Kayaks and had a blast doing so. There's plenty to see around the wharf and just beyond. We saw otters, harbor seals, sea lions, jellyfish, stars, etc. during our kayak tour. Here's a write-up about our experience: http://ow.ly/uS9PI

2. Get down the coast and visit Big Sur. There's tons to see (exp. Pfieffer Beach and Julia Pfieffer Burns State Park.

3. Make a day trip and visit the Heast Castle and the Piedras Blancas elephant seal rookery. Here's some info about the rookery: http://ow.ly/uSarN

Best,

Nick

Hastings, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale Watching Tour

Thanks a lot for feedback. I'd love to go to Hearst Castle but no public transport.

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,348 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Whale Watching Tour

Hearst Castle is a little too far to be a day trip, at least not a relaxed one.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

7. Re: Whale Watching Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2015, 04:15