We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help with logistics.....

Which Monterey hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
tampaflorida
Level Contributor
33 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
help with logistics.....

We are traveling to California in June. We are a family of four with two teenage boys. We are spending our first night visiting family then 3 nights in San Francisco, three nights in Yosemite, we will then be leaving VERY early to head to the coast highway. We will only have one full day, I know that this is not enough time to do it justice but we will make the most of our time. I would like to start south near Julia Pfeiffer State Park McVay Falls and head north. Attempt to see the most we can. My question is this: If we leave VERY early from Yosemite, is it doable to get to the PCH seeing the Falls, Bixby bridge, Nepenthe and anything else we might want to stop for along the way to get to Monterey and stay the night there?? We have to be at SFO the next morning by 10am.

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,303 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: help with logistics.....

I trust you realize it takes a good 4 hours to get to the coast from Yosemite.

And no, you can't start the coastal Highway 1 from Julia Pfeiffer Burns park. You have to go all the way south to San Simeon (add 3-4 hours more for that) or start in Monterey and go south, then backtrack to Monterey.

It's a lot for one day. It'll feel rushed, as will the following morning.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Edited: 23 March 2014, 22:44
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,443 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help with logistics.....

MrToy has given you the only two options available to you:

1) Leave Yosemite via the south entrance (Highway 41) over to Cambria (5 hour drive) then up Highway 1 through Big Sur to Monterey (Another 3 hour drive WITHOUT stops!). That's 8 hours of just driving!!!

2) Leave Yosemite via Highway 140 to Monterey (4-5 hour drive) then down Highway 1 to McWay Falls (Another 1 1/2 hour drive) and backtrack to Monterey for the night.

Option 2 probably makes the most sense.

I suggest heading straight for McWay Falls, then see the rest on the way back to Monterey (Nepenthe, Bixby Bridge).

Keep in mind that, if you do this from either direction, you will virtually have NO time for seeing the sights in/around Monterey/Carmel.

A compromise option would be to drive to Monterey, visit Point Lobos for a few hours, down Highway 1 to Bixby Bridge for a 15 minute photo op, then spend what little time of the day that remains visiting Carmel or Monterey.

tampaflorida
Level Contributor
33 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help with logistics.....

Thank you Mr Toy and Kibbles09 for your input. I am glad that I asked, although I wish we had just one more day the logistics of the time we DO have just makes it impossible for us to get it all in. We will just have to come back another time. I think the alternative you gave Kibbles09 sounds like a good compromise. Driving straight to Monterey and spend a few hours at Point Lobos and then driving down to see and get pics of the Bridge. My engineer husband will definitely want to see that. Thanks for helping bring me back to reality.....C.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help with logistics.....

You have three nights in Yosemite. Why not spend last night outside Yosemite like Oakhurst or Fresno. Gives you some more time to drive to Cambria and up hw1 to Monterey in one day with a very early start

tampaflorida
Level Contributor
33 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help with logistics.....

WOW that suggestion had not even occured to me. That might be the best compromise to be able to see all that we want to see. I will look into those areas for staying that 3rd night. We would be that much closer to the PCH! Thank you Tet14! If I remember correctly you also gave me advice when I was planning a Utah trip a few years ago! Thank you once again for great advice!

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help with logistics.....

Yes, already 4 years ago. Time flies ;-)

7. Re: help with logistics.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2015, 04:16