We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kelp Scuba Diving

Which Monterey hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Kelp Scuba Diving

Hey Everyone

So my boyfriend and I are heading to California in November. Were both keen to do a kelp forest dive, we are both advanced divers (I am a rescue diver and he is a divemaster).

I was wondering a couple of things...

Is this the right time of year to be doing kelp diving?

What will the water temperature be like will we be ok in 7mm or will we need drysuits?

What companies can we contact to book this dive, we will on be in the area for one day?

Thanks for your help,

Chelle.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kelp Scuba Diving

November is winter here. Very cold water, storms, murkey visability. As far as companies to contact, try using Google. Chuck.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,747 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kelp Scuba Diving

http://sevenseasscuba.com/monterey/index.htm

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,323 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kelp Scuba Diving

I don't know a thing about diving, but I do know that in November a lot of kelp breaks loose and piles up on the beaches. So it may not be the best time of year to dive into a kelp forest.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,747 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kelp Scuba Diving

And it just came into mind that, if a winter storm passes through in late November, you probably shouldn't consider diving. Even the drive through Big Sur would be iffy IF it's raining due to rock and mud slides that occur even in light rain.

Hopefully not, but something you need to keep in mind for the time of year you're traveling.

Edited: 22 April 2014, 00:59
5. Re: Kelp Scuba Diving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2015, 05:16