We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishermans Wharf or Cannery Row

Which Monterey hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Fishermans Wharf or Cannery Row

Travelling to Monterey with my partner for 1 night as a stop over from our Drive to SFO from LA will be arriving 28 September, unsure where to stay closer to Cannery Row or Fishermans Wharf? I'm interested in Portola Hotel, also didn't my holiday inn Cannery row but Portola appears to have nicer looking hotel rooms for a cheaper price. Any suggestions?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishermans Wharf or Cannery Row

we have stayed at the Portola a few years ago and liked it.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,682 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishermans Wharf or Cannery Row

MrToy, a Monterey area local, has explained here that the "cheap" rooms at the Portola overlook a tunnel that leads to Cannery Row, Pacific Grove, etc. If you're okay with that, then fine. If not, keep looking.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,923 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishermans Wharf or Cannery Row

I've stayed at the Portola several times and I always get the cheap rooms - never had one overlooking the tunnel though, even when I booked through Priceline. The only room location that we have had that we didn't care for was on the 2nd floor overlooking the pedestrian pathway - it was noisy in the early mornings because groups of cyclists meet up there in the mornings and they are rather loud. All other times, we had rooms overlooking the water. The location of the hotel is great - near the harbor, close to the Monterey historic park, near downtown restaurants and things.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,363 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishermans Wharf or Cannery Row

The Portola is nice, but I don't know about the "cheap" rooms. Did you look at the Best Western Victorian Inn? It's near Cannery Row and not that far from the Wharf.

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fishermans Wharf or Cannery Row

Your decision should also include consideration of the respective neighborhoods. Cannery Row is pretty touristy, but downtown is more real and there are also a lot of historic sites close at hand. Fisherman's Wharf is also very touristy, but unlike Cannery Row the nearest hotels aren't in the middle of it. So a lot depends on what you want nearby. This may help: www.montereypeninsula.info/guide/lodging.html

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Level Contributor
34,460 posts
889 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fishermans Wharf or Cannery Row

Portola is nice! My son has enjoyed several stays there. They have a pool also if that is important to you. Enjoy the coast! :).

7. Re: Fishermans Wharf or Cannery Row

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2015, 06:16