We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Me again .. one more question

Which Monterey hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
89 posts
171 reviews
Save Topic
Me again .. one more question

Hello, there. Some of you might know that I'll be coming to Monterey next week and I have mentioned that I won't be renting a vehicle, but instead, will be relying on public transportation to get me and my two teen children where ever we want to go. (cabs, the WAVE, etc.). I find that I am now in a predicament, and would need your advice. 4th of July - we will be enjoying the local Monterey Parade, and perhaps the Lawn Party .. but I have made plans to go into Santa Cruz, enjoy the water, the boardwalk, the games, the food, etc., with the kids, and then we have reservations to go on the Chardonnay II from 9:00-10:30, where I am told we will see a magnificent display of fireworks on the water ("Biggest illegal fireworks display anywhere" is what someone on this forum called it :-)) My questions is I need your honest answer ... If we go to Santa Cruz, I will need to take a taxi cab. No problem. The problem might be ... It will be about 11:00 when we are ready to leave Sana Cruz, and I hear it will take about 1-1/2 hour to get back to our house in Monterey. I'm afraid that if I call a cab at 10:30/10:45, with it being a holiday that I could be waiting for an hour or more for a taxi to come and pick us up.. Tell me your opinion.. Should I skip the Chardonnay ride? I hear it is fabulous on the 4th of July, but obviously, transportation back to our place in Monterey might be an issue, and my teen kids will totally hate me if they have to wait and do nothing for an hour or more after the board ride is finished. Go ahead ... burst my bubble .... I'm ready..

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,042 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Me again .. one more question

Rent a car for that day and return it the next morning. A cab will cost you 10 times or more what a car rental will.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,730 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Me again .. one more question

I am really wondering what your aversion is to renting a car for your stay?

It is that you don't drive or????

Taxis in a large city are one thing but taxis between 2 different towns are a whole other issue.

IF you must use the taxi then I wouldn't wait until 11 PM on July 4th to call one.

I'd make an arrangement with the taxi/car service before hand. Perhaps whoever is driving you there will arrange to come back and pick you up but I imagine if it is a 1 1/2 hr. drive then it will be quite expensive!!

Level Contributor
34,986 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Me again .. one more question

Try to rent a car, you will have a lot more flexibility. Have fun! :).

Edited: 25 June 2014, 15:40
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,951 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Me again .. one more question

It looks as if you have two threads going on this question. (this is confusing to those who respond to you). I believe in your other thread you decided to rent a car? Right? As I said in your other thread, good decision. That thread has good information for you.

5. Re: Me again .. one more question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2015, 06:17