We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for recommendations for Sept trip

Mesa, Arizona
3 posts
Save Topic
Looking for recommendations for Sept trip

30th Anniversary - looking for great restaurant with sunset/bay views, quality food and service is key!

Staying for a week at the Quail Lodge Resort in Carmel Valley

Thanks,

JC

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for recommendations for Sept trip

For ocean views, Pacific's Edge at the Highlands in great. Very nice place, very good food. If you can do without the water views, take a look at Marinus at Bernardus Lodge in Carmel Valley. Lovely setting. If you want really to splurge, the restaurant at Post Ranch in Big Sur is amazing (sorry, can't recall the name). It's perched high over the ocean with amazing views and excellent food. Lunch for three about 4 years ago cost us $200, and that was without wine--just to give you an idea of the cost. It would involve an hour's drive each way on the coast road, so might not appeal to you.

Level Contributor
35,724 posts
903 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for recommendations for Sept trip

It is Sierra Mar. We celebrated my husband's birthday there a couple of years ago. Amazing place, I have some photos under the Big Sur Restaurant section. This would be my first choice for you.

My second choice would be as previously mentioned, the Pacific's Edge at the Highland's Inn. We enjoyed an outstanding meal there in December. We have not been to Marinus at the Bernardus Lodge, but did try Wickets, their casual place. We loved this place. They had a really great Mango/Shrimp/Avacado salad with Citrus Dressing that we have been duplicating at home.

Another consideration would be the Duck Club at the Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa. Gorgeous views and excellenet service here, but the food is not in the same league as Pacific's Edge or Sierra Mar.

Cheers and have a great trip! :)

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for recommendations for Sept trip

Syrah, you and I should wear name tags when we go out to eat on the Monterey Peninsula. We love all the same places and we're bound to run into each other eventually! :)

Level Contributor
35,724 posts
903 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for recommendations for Sept trip

LOL We had a two day trip planned a few weeks ago but had to cancel. We had ressies at the Colonial Terrace Inn which we still want to stay at sometime. We like to visit the Carmel area about every two months or so. We were going to dine at Bouchee again since we liked it so much last time. :)

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for recommendations for Sept trip

Another suggestion - if not too late - would be Fresh Cream in Monterey. I was engaged at this restaurant and celebrated my 5th anniversary there as well. Nice bay views, superb food and service -- a true dining experience. Would also agree with the thumbs up reviews of Pacific's Edge.

For an anniversary, you can also try some of the romantic activities available in the area since you will be here for a week including horseback riding in BIg Sur with Molera trail rides, scenic drives and hiking in Big Sur, picnic in one of our beautiful parks (like Garland Ranch in Carmel Valley). During your stay there may also be a flower walk nearby at Earthbound farms. You may also want to try a company called Romantic Room Designs which can decorate your room romantically for your anniversary.

Have fun and enjoy your week long celebration!

Level Contributor
35,724 posts
903 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for recommendations for Sept trip

We have yet to try Fresh Cream. One evening we were deciding between Passionfish and Fresh Cream. We went to Passionfish and were underwhelmed. I don't hear PGDenizen recommending it too often. PG, what do you think of Passionfish? :)

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for recommendations for Sept trip

I completely agree about Passionfish: overpriced, narrow selection, and only okay in quality. It's got a great wine selection, but that's about it.

8. Re: Looking for recommendations for Sept trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 02:17