We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SF to Big Sur 2-3 Day Itinerary with Pets

San Francisco...
3 posts
Save Topic
SF to Big Sur 2-3 Day Itinerary with Pets

Hi!

We are traveling in late Aug/early Sept from SF to the Monterey/Carmel area, leaving Friday afternoon and returning late Sunday. We are staying in Pebble Beach (non-golfers), and will have our two small dogs with us. I'd love some input/suggestions for things to do. Not all activities/restaurants need to be pet-friendly.

So far, here is what we're thinking, but not sure how to put it all together:

Things to Do

- Explore pebble beach area (17 mi drive),

- Carmel Beach

- Carmel shopping (pet friendly places)

- Pfeiffer big sur state park

- Point Lobos

- Lovers Point/Pacific Grove

- Best place to see ocean wildlife?

- Best place for beach sunset?

- Pet friendly hiking?

Food/Drinks:

- Dinner at Aubergine booked

- Forge in the Forest (pet friendly) for lunch

- What is the best restaurant of the options in Pebble Beach?

- Anything pet-friendly for lunch in/around Big Sur?

- Best place to get a picnic lunch to eat at the beach?

- Pet-friendly Sunday Brunch?

Thanks in advance!

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,255 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SF to Big Sur 2-3 Day Itinerary with Pets

The following link should be helpful. However, there will be limitations on where you can take them, especially in Big Sur (I suggest visiting each park's website to see if your dogs will be welcome there):

dogfriendly.com/server/travel/uscities/guide…

Edited: 11 July 2014, 20:54
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,255 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SF to Big Sur 2-3 Day Itinerary with Pets

Your dogs will not allowed into Point Lobos. This is probably going to be true for the parks in Big Sur. Dogs can be disruptive to the wildlife that live in these parks. (See the bottom of link):

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=571

San Francisco...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: SF to Big Sur 2-3 Day Itinerary with Pets

Thanks! We will check out each park before heading out, to see if we should do it with or without the pups.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,255 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SF to Big Sur 2-3 Day Itinerary with Pets

The good news is that Carmel is VERY dog friendly. Hopefully, the local MrToy will pop in and tell you all the great outdoor places you can take your fur babies

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SF to Big Sur 2-3 Day Itinerary with Pets

I would recommend either Anton and Michel or Nico Ristorante for lunch over Forge in the Forest for lunch. Both have dog-friendly patios, and although others may disagree with me, I've never had a good meal at the Forge (I've given it several tries).

There are two good places in Carmel to pick up food for a picnic lunch: Bruno's Market and Deli: http://www.brunosmarket.com/ and Fifth Ave. Deli: http://www.5thavedeli.com/.

Carmel Plaza is a nice pet-friendly shopping center: http://www.bringfido.com/attraction/388/

Edited: 11 July 2014, 22:13
Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: SF to Big Sur 2-3 Day Itinerary with Pets

Carmel city beach and Mission Trail Park are very dog friendly. Dogs can be off-leash provided they are under voice control. Dogs are allowed in the business district on a leash. However, dogs are NOT permitted in Devendorf Park on Ocean Avenue (I just learned that, it surprised me).

Many Carmel businesses allow dogs, but dogs are NOT allowed in any grocery store or indoor restaurant. Many restaurants that have outdoor seating do allow dogs.

Here are the official Carmel dog rules …carmel.ca.us/carmel/…

I have a description, directions, and a map link to Mission Trail Park on this page www.montereypeninsula.info/guide/walking.htm

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
4,055 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SF to Big Sur 2-3 Day Itinerary with Pets

Basil in Carmel has recently started serving brunch. Other dog friendly restaurants that we enjoy are La Balena, Mundaka, Barmel and Casanova. I haven't been to Forge but haven't heard anything good about it. The Bench at Pebble is dog friendly.

Almost all stores in Carmel except grocery stores (Bruno's, Nielson's, the Salumeria) are dog friendly as are most wine tasting rooms.

You can also head out to Carmel Valley. Garland Ranch Regional Park is dog friendly so are many of the restaurants and tasting rooms in the valley.

San Francisco...
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: SF to Big Sur 2-3 Day Itinerary with Pets

Thanks everyone for your advice! Will check out all of these places! :-)

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
15,027 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SF to Big Sur 2-3 Day Itinerary with Pets

>> Best place to see ocean wildlife?<<

More bay/estuary wildlife than ocean-specific, but the Elkhorn Slough "Safari", north of Monterey. You'll see dozens of species... seals, birds, etc.

10. Re: SF to Big Sur 2-3 Day Itinerary with Pets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2015, 05:15