We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel choices

kent england
Level Contributor
522 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel choices

I have been looking, in advance, for hotels for 2 nights next June in Monterey, and I have 6 jotted down, within our price range ( $165 - $200 pn incl) looking for a room for 4 .

I then checked the other sites etc for price comparison , doesn't seem much difference.

I then checked TA for ranking and % recommends .

I then checked google maps for proximity , as far as I can tell.

This was my whole evening basically , phew.

Anyhoo, the upshot is , I have 2 out of 6 which seem similar in ratings and proximity,

So I am now coming on here for any final input, please.

No 1, is the Colton Inn on Pacific st, 14/53, 77% recommend , $374 for 2 nights, includes breakfast.

No 2, is the Americas best value inn, 9/53. 84%, $302 for 2 nights includes breakfast.

There was a 3rd but it seems too far out ? Which is the La Quinta Inn and slightly more expensive.

Any viewpoint would be appreciated, I did see something about a tourist trolley, I don't know if it goes near these hotels.

Level Contributor
35,264 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel choices

I would go with Colton Inn. The other two places are generic chain hotels. You may also want to consider Bide A Wee Cottages in lovely Pacific Grove. :).

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel choices

I agree--Colton Inn. It's a walk to downtown Monterey so the location is good. It's not a fancy place, but the rooms are large and clean. The amenities are excellent for a mid-price hotel: free parking, free wifi, free movies at the front desk (the rooms have DVD players), free continental breakfast (not the best, but free). We stayed there for a night when the power at our house had been off for a few days. They were very accommodating, and we were pleased with our room. One caveat: it's close to the fire station, so there's always the chance of hearing sirens at night, but we had no problem with that.

Here is the info on the WAVE trolley: monterey.org/en-us/…thewavefreeshuttle.aspx. The pick-up place is a half mile from Colton Inn. A ten-minute walk.

Edited: 29 August 2014, 16:22
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,255 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel choices

The local DE, PGdenizen stayed at the Colton Inn a few years back when a major storm passing through knocked out power at her home for days. She was quite happy with it. It is a bit away from the main sights, so not sure the trolley goes by there, but nothing is too far away that you couldn't drive yourself to the sights.

I usually recommend parking along Ocean View Blvd in neighboring Pacific Grove and walk along the scenic rec trail to Cannery Row and the aquarium. Parking is free once you get past the outlet mall.

In addition to the Bide-A-Wee Cottages mentioned by syrahgirl, look at Lover's Point Inn in Pacific Grove. The rec trail begins right across the street at Lover's Point Park, so you can walk to the aquarium and Cannery Row if you want to. It's about a mile, but, trust me, the views are so nice you won't even notice.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Haha. Look who beat me to the punch. Pgd's ears must have been ringing while I was typing. :-)

Edited: 29 August 2014, 16:23
kent england
Level Contributor
522 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel choices

Thanks that's great, I will let you know how I get on.

Level Contributor
35,264 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel choices

You're very welcome! You may also want to visit nearby Carmel. www.carmelcalifornia.com :)

Edited: 29 August 2014, 23:36
kent england
Level Contributor
522 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel choices

Thanks kibbsles09 and Syrahgirl for the other recommends, they didn't come up on the site I was looking at so I went to their websites, they seem to be in our price range although lovers inn is not on sale for next June yet,

I am going to look further at those 2 aswell. Will be back, lol

Thanks PGdenizen for the trolley link aswell. Cheers

kent england
Level Contributor
522 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel choices

I've looked at all 3 on google maps, if you had to choose one for the best location, alone which of the 3 would you go for?

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,255 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel choices

Which 3 are you referring to?

Of the 3 you you initially mentioned, I would eliminate America's Best Value.

My personal preference would be somewhere in Pacific Grove. It's just a wonderful town with lodging options overlooking Monterey Bay (Lover's Point Inn, Borg's Oceanfront Motel) and some within a forested area (Bide A Wee, Andril Fireplace Cottages, Sunset Inn, Asilomar Conference Grounds).

kent england
Level Contributor
522 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel choices

Sorry, I meant the 3 out of Colton inn, bide a wee and lovers point inn, I get a bit carried away typing quickly.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel choices

If you want to be near downtown Monterey--restaurants, pubs, and the trolley stop--Colton Inn.

If you want to be in a peaceful setting--trees, deer and close to the ocean--but need a car to get to most restaurants, the sights, etc.--Bide-a-Wee.

If you want to be out your door and right at Lover's Point (the ocean and the recreation trail--you can walk to Cannery Row and the aquarium in about 20 minutes), walking distance to downtown Pacific Grove and some excellent restaurants--then Lover's Point Inn

A few comments: Lover's Point Inn used to be not so nice inside; however, I've heard that they've done some renovations, so be sure to read the reviews before you decide.

Pacific Grove is a lovely town--quaint, scenic, a good walking town. Many travelers like to go to a bar or pub at night for a drink, and PG is not the best place for that. You can order wine at restaurants, and the Beach House restaurant (which is across the street from Lover's Point Inn) now has a full bar. If that is not so important to you, though, I think that Pacific Grove is a lovely place to stay. You can sightsee all day and come back here and unwind. Having said that (I'm a tad bit biased since I've lived in PG for 28 years), you cannot go wrong with any of these locations. It just depends on your priorities.

Edited: 30 August 2014, 15:11