We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monterey/Carmel - one day

Which Monterey hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
545 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Monterey/Carmel - one day

I am going to the area on a Sunday morning from Los Banos (place to crash driving from Yosemite/Sequoia). I will be staying in Carmel at the Wayfarer Inn on the Sunday evening before flying out of SFO the next day. I am looking for must-sees for Monterey and Carmel for one day. I guess we are most interested in ocean sites and the charm of the towns. Some suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Fresno, CA
Destination Expert
for Fresno
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monterey/Carmel - one day

why don't you just drive straight to Monterey from Yosemite. From Los Banos its 1.5 hours. That would give you more time. From Yosemite Valley it would be about a 4.5 hour drive to monterey. If you are leaving late, Los Banos is a convenient stop. Great Basque food at Wool Growers Rest. if you need a place to eat. www.woolgrowers.net

In carmel, just walking around is very nice. Lots of shops and nice restaurants. You can walk to the beach from town. Point Lobos toward Big Sur offers nice walks and views. Take a picnic lunch and enjoy. The aquarium is world class and is great for adults too! I don't like Cannery Row much as it is mostly souvenier shops and so so restaurants.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,363 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monterey/Carmel - one day

I agree that Point Lobos is a must-see for its outstanding views--a photographer's dream. I'd also suggest that you have lunch at the Red House Cafe in Pacific Grove and then walk around the small downtown and then down to Lover's Point (at the foot of Forest Avenue). From there, you can walk the recreation trail that goes along the water. To the left is scenic coastline; to the right, after about a 15-minute walk, is the aquarium and Cannery Row. For dinner in Carmel, you can walk to a number of very good restaurants: Little Napoli has excellent Italian; Flying Fish Grill (Japanese); Grasing's (California cuisine); Casanova (country French/Mediterranean).

Level Contributor
34,739 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monterey/Carmel - one day

Another great place for lunch would be the California Market at the Highland's Inn after your visit Pt. Lobos. The Carmel Mission is also very interesting, if you do this attraction, I would consider a meal at the Mission Ranch. Very good food in a gorgeous setting with the pastures and oceanviews.

In Monterey, we like Schooner's at the Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa. You will have amazing views of the ocean here out on the patio. The fish and chips are very good here, also.

We enjoyed a very nice meal at Tarpey's Roadhouse in Monterey not too long ago. I have a review with photos here. Ventana is next door where you can wine taste, we have been enjoying their Sauv Blanc this summer.

PG, have you been to Stokes in Monterey? If so, what do you think of the place? :)

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monterey/Carmel - one day

If you're Catholic, you may enjoy mass at the Carmel mission.

I think that renting bikes and taking a ride along the recreation trial in Monterey from Del Monte Beach south to Asilomar would be on my list. (All along the water, except maybe 2 blocks).

As mentioned, Pt. Lobos is the best for hiking with water views.

Kayaking in the bay is a great way to see wildlife. (otters, seals, sea lions, pelicans)

Carmel Beach is beautiful, if it's not foggy you could enjoy the sunset there. And window shopping around the Carmel galleries is a nice way to spend about an hour.

Carmel is more "charming" than Monterey, but Monterey's waterfront is wonderful. (Fisherman's wharf and Cannery Row are both quite touristy -- if you rent bikes, you can swing by both without spending much time there.)

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,363 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monterey/Carmel - one day

Syrah, I have been to Stokes, and the setting is lovely. They have the most beautiful chandeliers with bronze (I think) leaves on them--very pretty. The adobe feel of the place is very charming. I've found the food a little uneven in quality, though, which is a shame because it used to be really excellent. Of course, that's just my opinion. If I were going to have just one dinner in Monterey, I would probably not choose Stokes over Tarpy's or Montrio. I even prefer Taste Cafe and Bistro in PG.

Level Contributor
34,739 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monterey/Carmel - one day

I was thinking Stokes for lunch and Duck Club for dinner. We haven't decided if we want to spend the night at Portola yet. I have been watching the Coastal Cuisine with Tene Shake (or something like that) and started missing Monterey!

I want to get the Spa Pedicure at the Plaza and just relax and lounge by the fire there, soak in the Bromine jacuzzis, just a little getaway. Now, what do you think Angelina's on the Wharf? :)

Level Contributor
34,739 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Monterey/Carmel - one day

Sorry, Isabella's on the Wharf. www.coastalcuisine.com is the website for those interested. :)

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,363 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Monterey/Carmel - one day

I don't know Isabella's. However, let me turn you on to the Thai Foot Massage at the Pacific Day Spa on 17th St. in Pacific Grove. Oh my. It's an hour-long massage and reflexology session ($55). While she's working on foot and calf, the other side is wrapped in hot towels. It's sooo relaxing, and the reflexology makes me feel as though it's beneficial in other ways besides the relaxation.

Level Contributor
34,739 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Monterey/Carmel - one day

That does sounds very nice! Thanks for the tip. I want to ride my bike around the trails there, also. Got that coast craving right now! :)

10. Re: Monterey/Carmel - one day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 20:20