We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Central Coast in California

Which Morro Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ODR
Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
256 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Central Coast in California

Hi,

I plan to drive all the coast down from Monterey to LA in August this year. We have two whole days so we plan to do the long way by the cost on Highway 1.

I have read in other forums many good ideas about places to visit and amazing sights, thanks for that!! But I have not found any indication about how busy motels are in summer. We are 6 people and we would like to go without any reservation, just lodge where we like.

Is it a crazy idea?

By the way, I am from Madrid, so it is gonna be my first chance to watch the Pacific.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Central Coast in California

August is a very busy month along the coast, because of visitors from out of state and residents from California who live in the central valley coming to the beach. The area around Hearst CAstle such as Cambria is very busy. Pismo Beach will be crowded and Santa Barbara will be crowded. The weekends will be especially crowded.

The challenge for you is that you may waste alot of time trying to find a room when you should be enjoying your holiday. Quite possibly, there will always be a room in another town closeby. However,it may not be on the beach or in a special location.

You have to ask yourself, How brave you are, and how willing you are to be flexible.

We don't want you to go home to Spain and have a bad experience of your holiday in California.

You can check ahead of your arrival on the(Expedia.com) online hotel websites to see how many rooms are left in the local hotels. This will gauge the occupancy level.

Enjoy!!

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,116 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Central Coast in California

When I was younger, we always travelled without reservations but nowadays with the internet, people learn about the better places and it is easy to make reservations--so they do! As you have two days you really will not be tying yourself down too much--just pick a town in the middle, and both days will have plenty of time for sightseeing and enjoying yourselves.

Level Contributor
34,236 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Central Coast in California

This is a very busy month on the coast, you really would be better off with reservations for travel this time of year. Let us know what area you are interested in and we can help you with lodging choices. www.centralcoast.com is a nice website for the area.

My son spent a month in Europe last summer and one his weeks was in Madrid, he loved his time in Spain! :)

ODR
Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
256 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Central Coast in California

Many thanks for your answers, it is clear to me now that I will have to book somehting in advance.

We will depart from Yosemite (south) about mid day, so we plan to arrive to south San Francisco to have our first night in the coast. I had planned go to Carmel, but after reading comments about Santa Cruz I am not sure. What's your opinion?

From there we have two full days before arriving to LA to sleep (and picking another friend up which arrives at LAX).

Any recommendation about what to see or do these days? I must say that what I have read about Heart Casttle does not impress me much, we are looking more for beautiful (and not crowded) beaches and good nature sights.

5. Re: Central Coast in California

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 05:25
Get answers to your questions about Morro Bay