We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Morro Bay stop over in late August

Lulea, Sweden
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Morro Bay stop over in late August

Hi,

Me and my girlfriend will drive from San Francisco down to Los Angeles (Santa Monica) via Highway 1 the last weekend in August. Our goal is to get to Santa Monica by Sunday (Aug. 31st ) afternoon and we’ll start our drive on Friday (Aug. 29th) morning around 8 AM. We’ve decided to spend our first night in Morro Bay and our second night in Carpinteria south of Santa Barbara.

1. We’ll pick up our rental car in San Francisco around 7.30 AM and we’ll probably hit the road around 8. We don’t want to rush. We want to make a few stops here and there, take some photos, have lunch and enjoy the scenery. Will 10 hours be enough?

2. Where should we stop for lunch? Any suggestions? Monterey?

3. Let’s assume we’ll arrive in Morro Bay around 6 PM. I’m sure we’ll be tired from all the driving but I’m sure we’ll be hungry too. Will there be any restaurants or bars open? Any suggestions? After dinner and a couple of beers we probably want to head back to the hotel (Days Inn) and go to bed early.

4. The next morning (Aug. 30th) we’ll get up early, have some breakfast and spend some hours exploring Morro Bay before hitting the road again. Any suggestions on what to do? I’m sure we’ll appreciate a couple of hours of small town life after spending time in Chicago, Seattle and San Francisco the past weeks.

Do you think it sounds like a good plan? Feel free to come up with ideas and suggestions.

Thanks!

- O from Sweden

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Morro Bay stop over in late August

We were in Morro Bay late Oct and it was a bit gloomy and deserted. I would suggest San Luis Obispo, Pismo Beach, Avila Beach as alternatives. You won't need reservations at that time of year and can find something along the way if you wish. Just travel prepared, with a list of possibilities....phone them up for last-minute rates and availability.

UK
Level Contributor
177 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Morro Bay stop over in late August

Thanks for your reply. I did wonder if that might be the case. We've stayed in ehough gloomy places over the years. We like at least a bit of life!!

Best wishes for a happy weekend. The sun is shining here in the UK. Hurrah!!!

DaisygirlUK

13. Re: Morro Bay stop over in late August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 02:17
Get answers to your questions about Morro Bay