We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West Coast v Sequoia & Kings Canyon

Wiltshire, UK
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
West Coast v Sequoia & Kings Canyon

Looking for some advice please.

My wife and I are visiting from the UK and are about to start on a counter-clockwise tour of Central CA, riding a motorcycle.

We have a couple of breaks in our itineray - the first is after we visit Cambria next week. We are heading towards Mammoth Lakes but we are trying to make the decision whether to cut across to Sequoia and upwards visiting Kings Canyon - or just explore more of the coastline around the Morro Bay area before heading straight off to Yosemite.

The roads over to and through Sequoia look really interesting - but so do the temperatures - Visalia is in the 90's!We Brits melt after 80 degs especially if we're wearing bike gear!

So cook or chill? Tricky huh?

I'm going to post this on the Sequoia and Kings Canyon Canyon forum as well and see what comes back.

Thanks in advance,

Rocky Rider

California
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: West Coast v Sequoia & Kings Canyon

Don't forget to travel through the Gold Country along the foothills, scenic fun drive Hwy 49, lots of interesting places to visit. I found information and destinations to visit at http://www.goldcountryfamilies.com. I'd recommend going up California inland and coming down California on the coast, scenic turnouts are on the right side going south on the coast. Being Brits, remember to stay on the correct side of California roads...enjoy!!

Wiltshire, UK
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: West Coast v Sequoia & Kings Canyon

Nice one Catravelerann!

We are heading for the Goldcountry after Mammouth Lakes so thanks for the web tip.

"Being Brits, remember to stay on the correct side of California roads...enjoy!!"

Now look, travelling on the wrong side of the road I can cope with - but not being able to "filter" (overtake) in slow moving or stalled traffic is a bummer. What's a motorcycle for if not for taking advantage of its mobility!? :-D

Rocky

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,204 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: West Coast v Sequoia & Kings Canyon

Trust me, Rocky, the roads "over" to Sequoia are not interesting. Maybe once you reach the foothills, but not before. Not only will the San Joaquin Valley be hot, but it will probably be quite smoggy, as well.

Ah, nothing like gray skies when the sun is out! Yeah, right.

Morro Bay is a sleepy fishing village (at least it used to be.... the fishing industry has been severely curtailed here). You can, however, rent kayaks and paddle around the harbor and estuary where you'll be treated to all kinds of wildlife (otters, seals, birds, etc.).

A few miles south of Morro Bay is Montana de Oro State Park, which has great trails for hiking and enjoying the coast. The ocean bluff trail leads out to some pretty dramatic surf. You'll see how rough surf has carved the face of the cliffs. The view northward looks back toward Morro Rock, which is quite the sentinel.

Now I must retract part of my opening statement and inform you the Hwy 46 from Hwy 1 to Paso Robles is a lovely drive, as is part of 46 East to Fresno/Bakersfield in the Paso Robles region. But once you get past the vineyards, it takes a quick downward slant. And as for Hwy 41.... well, go back to paragraph 1.

Wiltshire, UK
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: West Coast v Sequoia & Kings Canyon

"But once you get past the vineyards, it takes a quick downward slant. And as for Hwy 41.... well, go back to paragraph 1."

Now, funny you should mention that 'coz looking at the map there does seem to be (and I really don't want to upset anyone who lives round Kettleman City here) a "zone" between Paso Robles and Visalia which doesn't seem to have much going for it - scenically at least.

They do (allegedly) have the best burger joint in California though.

But I'm sure someone can tell me differently!

California
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: West Coast v Sequoia & Kings Canyon

Hey RockyRider,

You are in luck, California is a split-lane state, bikers can squeeze through between cars riding the white line...not highly suggested, I have a couple biker dents to my collection!! Stay LARGE and visible many Californian's just go and look later, similiar to French/Italian style of driving. And watch your speeds in many of the little towns -- tickets are many times a huge part of the local economy's income. Speaking of economies, you picked a good time to visit, bring lots of cash, our little towns could use a pound or two! :-D

Wiltshire, UK
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: West Coast v Sequoia & Kings Canyon

Hey, haven't you heard that the British are now poor again? And as for your po-leece, I've been told they have a real good sense of humour when it comes to speeding... :-)

"bikers can squeeze through between cars riding the white line"

"Undertaking" is illegal in the UK - see, there's lousy traffic laws everywhere!

Don't worry, I'm sure my wife will do her upmost to support the local communities.

7. Re: West Coast v Sequoia & Kings Canyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 22:24