We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need kayak advice for Morro Bay

Which Morro Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bay Area, CA
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Need kayak advice for Morro Bay

Hi All,

anyone kayak at Morro Bay yet? Advice?

What did you think of the services/tours avail?

Will be kayaking single. Avg fitness, used to kayaking in San Francisco,CA bay, inlets and lakes. Looking for leisurely 1-2 hr trip by renting kayak. Do you recommend bringing any personal gear like PFD instead of using the rentals? It's a lot for just one event but will if rental PFDs are too icky.

What are current recommendations for restaurants there?

Will be visiting end of March.

Also, does anyone know of any natural caves/parabolic spaces (diameter is 2x depth/height). I'm always looking for natural locations to play flute (good reverb once the air warms) Manmade or natural - it's all good.

I know it's a huge rock but that is not something that has anything to access or good echo sound off spots and beaches are open space and flat for acoustics. Heard there are tidepools. Wondering if any natural blow hole spots along the coast in the area.

Thanks.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,859 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need kayak advice for Morro Bay

I have not personally kayaked Morro Bay, so can't offer any first hand advise. There are 2 rental companies I'm aware of:

Sub Sea Tours & Kayaks (805) 772-9463

Rock Kayak Company (805) 772-2906

The best place to kayak is in the estuary south of town. I have seen natural blow holes to the south of Morro Bay in Montana de Oro State Park where you will also find hiking trails and tide pools. There are caves further south in the Shell Beach area of Pismo Beach near the Dinosaur Caves Park. This area is also popular for kayaking and Central Coast Kayaks on Shell Beach Road can set you up: (805) 773-3500

Restaurants: Dorn's, The Outrigger, Rose's Landing, Hofbrau in Morro Bay.

Restaurants in Pismo Beach: Splash Cafe (famous for clam chowder served in a bread bowl), Del's Pizzeria, Old Vienna (German food... very good), Steamer's of Pismo, F. McClintock's Saloon & Dining House.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,859 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need kayak advice for Morro Bay

BTW- Morro Rock is a protected landmark. Climbing, scaling, etc. is against the law.

Level Contributor
34,703 posts
891 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need kayak advice for Morro Bay

Another great place to dine in Pismo is the Cracked Crab, very casual and wonderful fish tacos and key lime pie here! In Shell Beach, check out Lido at the Dolphin Bay Resort. www.centralcoast.com Have fun! :)

Bay Area, CA
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need kayak advice for Morro Bay

thanks a bunch for your prompt responses. I've been combing thru TA's Morro contributions so I know I will get a hike and a kayak on this trip. Didn't plan on climbing or setting foot on Morro Rock - it's a huge former gravel/quarry and our past Fred Flintstones have taken enough from it, hence protected. Y'all are great!

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,859 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need kayak advice for Morro Bay

Hi Fluteplyr

Another popular kayaking spot is up in the Cambria area (about a 20 minute drive from Morro Bay). Here's a good website for Cambria:

www.cambriachamber.org/

Click on "Photos" and then select "Scenery Photos". You'll see a photo of a kayaker paddling through a rock arch in this area.

Lots of options here for you. Have fun planning.

6. Re: Need kayak advice for Morro Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Morro Bay