We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about Montana De Oro SP

Which Morro Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
834 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Questions about Montana De Oro SP

While planning our upcoming trip to Avila Beach I have came upon Montana De Oro in TA. The park looks like a great place to explore, but our time is limited.

We will only be able to spent 2-3 hours durning a morning. Can anyone suggest some trail ideas that will take us along the ocean and down to the beach? Any must see locations? And, will fog be an issue when visting in the morning durning September?

Thank you for your help!

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,018 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about Montana De Oro SP

You are going to LOVE Montana de Oro!!!!!

My favorite trail starts at the top of the hill above Spooner's Cove. The trail takes you out to the cliffs overlooking the choppy waters of the Pacific Ocean and you will see how the tidal waves have etched into the cliff face. The views from here quite stunning with Morro Rock looming to the north at a distance, but still a marvelous sight.

As you walk south a bit, you should be able to see wooden stairs leading down to a small beach. If the tide is out, you can explore the tide pools along the rocky ridges where you can spot sea anemones, hermit crabs, starfish and other little creatures that make the pools their home.

The trail heads back toward the parking area, if you're ready to call it a day, but there's also another path you can take and hike a little further along the coastline. My husband and I once saw a bobcat along this trail. That was really awesome!

I can't predict if we'll have foggy mornings in September. Every day along the coast is unique. A few days this week we had absolutely gorgeous early mornings with a luminescent calm Pacific. The last two mornings have been either foggy or misty.

The good news about our fog is that it tends to burn off by mid-morning. Even if there should be some fog at Montana de Oro, it should not detract from the experience. It's a beautiful park, regardless.

From the entrance, I'd say it's about a 3-4 mile drive through eucalyptus groves and natural fauna when the ocean will come into view. The road will slope down with a hill to your left and a coved beach on your right. That's Spooner's Cove. The road will then turn upward and you can park off road at the top of the hill and take your hike.

Again... you're going to LOVE Montana de Oro.

Cambria, California
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about Montana De Oro SP

If you are there on a weekend, do not miss the new trial. The trail is called Point Buchon Trail. The land is owned by PG&E, but last year they opened up the land to the public for hiking. When you drive all the way through the Montana De Oro State Park to the end, there is a parking lot. From there you see a gate and a sign "Trail Open" and trail hours. Walk through the gate over a bridge. Look for the Steelhead Trout swimming in the creek bellow. Then you walk up to the "check in" station manned by 2 guys, You have to sign security waiver to enter the trail. The views are absolutely breath taking. caves, big stone pillers poking out of the ocean. One point is called Disney point. This is where they filmed "Petes Dragon". the picture in my aviator is from this trail

Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
834 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about Montana De Oro SP

Now I am really excited to visit Montana De Oro with your discriptions and picture!

I want to know the best way to get to Montana de Oro. Google Maps say that from Avila Beach I should take Diablo Canyon Rd to Pecho Valley Rd. Or should I go up 101 to Los Osos Valley Rd and over?

Thanks!

Cambria, California
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about Montana De Oro SP

Since you are going to Avila, Another really cool hike in Avila is the ocean bluff trail to the old light house. It is also on PG&E property. You have to pre-register a week in advance and again another secuity form. A really fun and beautiful docent led hike.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,018 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about Montana De Oro SP

That pesky google maps isn't aware that Diablo Canyon Road is off limits to the public. This is the road leading to the Diablo Canyon Nuclear Power Plant.

Take the 101 north to Los Osos Valley Road, make a left at the light and head west into the town of Los Osos. The road will turn southward and becomes Pecho Road. You'll soon come upon the entrance to Montana de Oro.

The drive between SLO and Los Osos is a pretty one through farms and ranches with a few dormant volcanos in view of your drive. A popular hiking spot is Bishop Peak (one of the dormant volcanos) off Foothill Blvd, which intersects with Los Osos Valley Road.

Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
834 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about Montana De Oro SP

Kibblesmom: Thanks for correct way to go. I have read in other forums in TA about web maps of GPS units taking people down restricted roads or even worse, abandonded roads.

cambriafisherman: Is there a web site where we can check out the trails on P G & E land and how to pre-register?

There is so much to do on the central coast, and we have so little time. Now the hard part for me is making the most of our time there and still finding time to sleep.

Thanks!

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,018 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions about Montana De Oro SP

rwdw

Here's your link to pre-register for the Point Buchon Trail:

…modwest.com/pgereservations/trailschild.php…

Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
834 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions about Montana De Oro SP

Thanks for the link Kibblesmom!

You have been a great help!

Cambria, California
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions about Montana De Oro SP

rwdw

We have a local paper here in SLO County and every year they poll us locals for the best of the best. The questions range from best burrito to best hotel. The results change a little year to year, but the following is the norm:

Where would you take a visiting guest?

1st. Montana De Oro (and its free)

2nd hearst castle

3rd Do you really want to know? The men's pissing urinal at the Madonna Inn. it's a big waterfall!

here is the link for the light house hike in Avila.

http://www.sanluislighthouse.org/

rwdw

Also just a few little tips about Montana de Oro

There are several picnic tables in Montana de Oro, several actually by the Visitors Center. I recommend checking out the center. It is more like a nature museum. I take my visiting guests here first so they can identify all the different types of wildlife as we hike

The toilets are primative, so as you stop for water in Los Osos, you may want to take advantage of the services. It is your last call for a flushable toilet. and you do need that water! especially if you decide to take the PG&E hike.

I love to hike and kayak, one of the best investments I ever made was one those camel paks.

Last thing: Carlocks Bakery and Sylveters Hamburgers are both in Los Osos. They are the best in the entire county.

10. Re: Questions about Montana De Oro SP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2009, 05:28
Get answers to your questions about Morro Bay