We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Morro Bay or SLO?

Which Morro Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oviedo,FL
Level Contributor
66 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Morro Bay or SLO?

We are driving from LA to spend a couple of days to do some hikes and visit Hearst.Does it matter if we make SLO or Morro home base?We would like to be able to walk from our hotel to shops and dinner.Don't want an isolated location.

Los Osos, California
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Morro Bay or SLO?

IF you want to walk to restaurants and shops and be close to hiking trails then Morro Bay is probably your best bet. Although I would say that there are better restaurants in SLO. Montana De Oro is a great hiking area and is close to both SLO and MB

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,747 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Morro Bay or SLO?

SLO has more to offer in terms of dining, shopping, nightlife, etc. However, most of those things are located downtown and require a bit of a walk from the hotels on Monterey Street, but it is doable. There are a few hotels on Madonna Road with nearby dining, most notably The Madonna Inn & Royal Oak Hotel. The Madonna Inn has two restaurants on site: The Gold Rush Steak House & Copper Cafe. There's an Applebee's, Tahoe Joe's, McDonalds, Taco Bell & Starbucks across the street in the shopping center.

Morro Bay is more of a sleepy fishing village, but there are a few hotels near the embarcadero where some pretty nice dining can be found.

Edited: 03 January 2011, 03:47
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,960 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Morro Bay or SLO?

I prefer Morro Bay because it is on the ocean :)

San Diego
Level Contributor
124 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Morro Bay or SLO?

We always stay in Morro Bay. There are many places to stay within walking distance of the water, with some nice restaurants and shops all along the water. And I second the recommendation for hiking in Montana de Oro state park, although one time when we were there in the early part of the year it was so fogged in that we had to change our plans and spent the day in SLO instead.

localhikes.com/Hikes/ValenciaPeakBluffsMDOSP…

Oviedo,FL
Level Contributor
66 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Morro Bay or SLO?

Thanks everyone.Looks like Morro is best for us.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,504 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Morro Bay or SLO?

They are both good choices, but Morro Bay is nice because of being able to see the water from some of the hotels. Cute town to walk around.

However, if you planned to be in the area on a Thursday night, there is a wonderful street fair in San Luis Obisbo. We love trying the vendors especially the Santa Maria BBQ.

beachcalifornia.com/beach/sanluis-obispo-str…

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,960 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Morro Bay or SLO?

Mmmmmm Santa Maria BBQ :)

You know, I've been eating that for as long as I can remember and never knew it was specific to this area (or had a special name) until I saw a BBQ show on TV a few years ago and it was featured. The stuff you learn on TV ;)

Cambria, California
Destination Expert
for San Simeon, Cambria
Level Contributor
448 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Morro Bay or SLO?

I join the chorus for Morro Bay. There is a short hike to Black Mountain via the State Park Golf Course road - easy but great views of the estuary, east farm and ranch land and north coast. The beach north of the rock is wide and long which makes for great walks. And, you're that much closer to Hearst Castle. It will take you about 40 minutes to get there from Morro Bay, and more like an hour from SLO. San Luis is a college town with more traffic (foot and car), while Morro Bay is quiet enough for you to hear the seals and a high surf at night. There are plenty of places to stay, and it's an easy place to get around on foot.

As a local, some of my favorite restaurants are Dorns (overlooking the harbor and rock), Tognazzini's Dockside (on the Embarcadero across from the power plant stacks - owned by a family who have a fishing boat, and they also buy from other local fisherman and put on the special daily catch menu which boats the fish are from) and , in north Morro Bay, Taco Temple "California Fusion" Mexican restaurant. Windows on the Water has some terrific happy hours, depending on the day of the week...Martini Mondays, Oyster Tuesdays, Slider Wednesdays and Taco/Tequila Thursdays.

Have fun!

Edited: 05 January 2011, 04:11
Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Morro Bay or SLO?

I highly recommend The Gallery Restaurant on the waterfront. Excellent seafood with a view!

10. Re: Morro Bay or SLO?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2011, 07:30
Get answers to your questions about Morro Bay