We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family from New Zealand Travelling in an RV in September

Which Morro Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
84 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Family from New Zealand Travelling in an RV in September

Hello there,

FIrst of all I would like to say thankyou for this website, I have collected a wealth of information already and it is all thanks to people who give their time to pass onto other people their experiences and opinions. It is all greatfully received.

My family and I are hiring a 30ft RV in September 2013. We have had two years of saving for this trip and have one more to go so we want to make the most of our time and money. We will be traveling with 3 children (will be 11yrs, 9yrs and 7ys). We will be spending 3 weeks travelling from LA, up to San Fransico, up to Portland OR, across to Pendleton down to Twin Falls Id, down thru Utah to the Grand Canyon then back West to LA.

In that time my family has requested they see a) a fun water park b) a Lighthouse c) a steam train ride and Museum d) a Dinasaur Museum /Park e) a horse ride f) a a ghost town (that last one is for me). MY husband likes driving and we don't mind like stretches in order to spend more time ina particular area.

I would really appreciate anyones recommendations on any of these activities. Or any other information or recommdations you would like to pass on.

Many thanks.

Avila Beach...
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family from New Zealand Travelling in an RV in September

Many options for these, but here's a couple of ideas to get you started in California. Water Park: Raging Waters in San Dimas, CA (east of LA). Steam railroad: Roaring Camp Railroad in Felton, CA (Santa Cruz Mountains). You can do a horseback ride on the beach in Andrew Molera State Park in Big Sur. So many lighthouses on your route, but Point Sur Lighthouse in Big Sur does tours - there's also Point Pinos lighthouse in Pacific Grove.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
84 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family from New Zealand Travelling in an RV in September

Thanks so much for your feed back. I will look into all of it.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,773 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family from New Zealand Travelling in an RV in September

Here is the link to the Road Trips forum: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567 When you repost on that forum, let them know how many weeks you have for this trip.

One Traveler Article to help your planning... Where to Stay in Your RV: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567 (You can't park at the side of the road.)

Auburn, California
Level Contributor
188 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family from New Zealand Travelling in an RV in September

Not sure of your route, the best ghost town I've been to is Bodie, California. Based on what you've said, it's probably not directly on your route. It would be an overnight trip east from San Francisco (248 mi one way over the Sierras). It's a beautiful drive and Bodie is basically an old mining town in a state of 'arrested decay' and you walk around and peer into windows to your heart's content. Tours of a stamp mill are available as well as an old cemetery to explore.

For dinosaurs, consider the Calif Academy of Sciences, San Fran or the Museum of Paleontology at University of Calif in Berkeley

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,773 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family from New Zealand Travelling in an RV in September

Check with your RV company about driving on the dirt road out to Bodie State Historic Park. parks.ca.gov/?page_id=509 (Or don't ask and hope for the best!)

Morro Bay...
Level Contributor
800 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family from New Zealand Travelling in an RV in September

Water park, horseback riding, steam train(Felton) and lighthouses(up and down coast)....all can be accomplished on the coast or very close to it in California. Natural history museum with dinosaurs, probably best in Los Angeles. Ghost towns are inland, agree about Bodie although there are others. For specifics on, I would run a search on each, i.e. lighthouses on the California Coast, steam trains in California, etc.

Between L.A. and San Francisco is Big Sur....a spectacular drive although slow and windy in an RV.

7. Re: Family from New Zealand Travelling in an RV in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2013, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Morro Bay