We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To Weed and Mt. Shasta---I hope!

Which Mount Shasta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,642 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
To Weed and Mt. Shasta---I hope!

Looks like I will finally get up there the last weekend of October, Friday for business and the weekend for me :)

I presume it will have cooled off quite a bit by then, will the color be gone already? Am hoping to stay in Mt. Shatsa City as I'm headed for the college in Weed.

Being the long-drive nut that I am, I can't help noticing that the coastal redwoods are up that way, albiet a bit of a drive. Is it feasilbe (good weather, of course) to head there via Medford both ways for the day? Yes, I know it's a long drive, but I am used to that on vacation and don't mind, though gas prices may make me abandon that :( I'd love to go down via Redding across the scenic route, but that would probably take too long...

Any advice greatly appreciated. Also, hope to ride if I can at the local stables---any comments or opinions?

Thanks.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,642 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To Weed and Mt. Shasta---I hope!

bumpski

Sac, CA
Level Contributor
290 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: To Weed and Mt. Shasta---I hope!

If you were to go from Mt. Shasta to Crescent City it would theoretically (sp?) be only about 200 miles. The drive is curvy once you get out of Grants Pass, Oregon and may take a toll on you. It is doable but if you could stay a night you might be better off. I grew up in the area and we would occasionally take a day trip to Crescent City or Brookings but you will want more time if you can swing it. I have never driven out of Redding to the coast so I can't comment on that. It is a beautiful drive either way. If you do decide to do it-Have fun and bring a camera as it is very picturesque. I'm tired so forgive my spelling! Let me know if you have any more questions and I will try to help!

Christina

P.S. are you the one staying in the B&B in McCloud? If you haven't reserved a place to stay yet, you might want to consider the Mt. Shasta resort.

Redding, California
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: To Weed and Mt. Shasta---I hope!

You can go to Eureka and down to Crescent City on the coast from Redding up 299W. It's a pretty drive but very curvy-takes about 3 hours. I live in Redding and have a vacation rental in Mt. Shasta. You never know exactly what the weather will do, but I imagine there should be colr as it wasn't turning all that much last week when I was there. I think it's always beautiful in Mt. Shasta. FYI-I am not a big fan of McCloud guest house.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,642 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To Weed and Mt. Shasta---I hope!

Hi everyone, thanks for the info! I actually opted for the Dream Inn in Mt. Shasta city, and I can do stuff from there. I'll write a review, of course :) Apparently someone's brother's friend, who works in the film industy, had stayed there for a location scout or something, and gave it a thumbs up ("like grandmas' place, nice and cozy," they said).

After having to do an extremely long haul drive from San Luis Obispo back home Monday night (thankfully I had driven up Sunday and stayed over), which is 207 miles o/w, I have decideded that perhaps the redwoods can wait...and a nice hike will do the trick instead, locally. These long drives in the evening are hard---during the summer, it's a different story!

So what IS the McCloud dinner train all about, anyway? I don't think it's my cup of cider, but just wondered. Also, is there anywhere to hear country western music and/or dance in the vicintiy of Mt. Shasta?

I am SO excited to be headed up there (but then I am a city kid, easily amused) :)

Sac, CA
Level Contributor
290 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: To Weed and Mt. Shasta---I hope!

Kittygal:

I don't have any personal experience with the McCloud Dinner train but I know my parent's have both taken their signifigant others on it and they really enjoyed it. They both did the ride when there was snow on the ground but I imagine the Fall trip would be awesome too. I don't know if you will be solo but the dinner trip sounds really romantic.

If you haven't already looked at their site, you can get more info. at shastasunset dot com.

I'm sure you will enjoy yourself no matter where you stay. My boyfriend's mom just returned from her first trip up there and loved it. She is even planning a trip for next summer to do more hiking. Here is another source for info. mtshastachamber dot com

I can't wait to hear how you like it up there!

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To Weed and Mt. Shasta---I hope!

I went on the McCloud Dinner Train. My DH is a Mt Shasta native so he knew all the landmarks and stuff. We went in the summer so it was light the entire trip. Since DH went to HS with the reservation gal we got the absolute best car. During the dinner you can get up and walk to the open cars to get full views and everyone ooohed and ahhhhed when they got to our car. I believe it was the Lincoln which was fully restored to the original look. Lots of wood on the walls and tapestry upholstry. Dinner is very yummy, actually and served well by professional staff. We did think that the trip overall was about 30 minutes too long but what can you do once you're on the train?

Here's a link to the pic of the car that's been restored:

http://www.shastasunset.com/dinnertrain.php

The other cars are much less cozy and elaborate.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,642 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: To Weed and Mt. Shasta---I hope!

Thanks everyone! I'll let you know ho I like you part of the world (I know I will love it!) Already looking forward to the trip...

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,642 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: To Weed and Mt. Shasta---I hope!

OK, I am headed to San Diego first then have 24 hours before I get on the puddle jumper :) to Medford and head to Weed and Mt. Shasta. I looked at the long range weather and it seems to be warm days and cool nights...any advice? I don't mind cold weather at all. Is there still any leaf color, or have I missed it?

Last question---the road to Happy Camp---what is that like? Looks interesting, any comments? For an excursion? (I still want to be lunaticwoman and go to the redwoods, but...maybe not this trip)

Sac, CA
Level Contributor
290 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: To Weed and Mt. Shasta---I hope!

The road to Happy Camp is pretty but really curvy and Happy Camp isn't a great place to visit. You are right about the weather, it can get chilly at night (as low as 30 degrees) so bring a light jacket or sweater. Also, be prepared for a chance of rain. The day temps should be around 65-70. Weed can also get windy.

There should be plenty of color for you to see and Mt. Shasta already has some snow on it and will be beautiful as it always is!

A pretty day trip would be to drive to the Ft. Jones/Etna area from Yreka. Also, stop in Ashland, Oregon which is a pretty cute town. Basically, the entire area from Medford to Mt. Shasta is pretty but I am partial as that is where I grew up.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,642 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: To Weed and Mt. Shasta---I hope!

OMG! The color here is unbelievable!!!! Incredible. I am taking more pictures of foliage than must be normal! :) Right now I am at the local library (and trying to type quietly, but I do about 75 wpm so it is noticeable...)checking my eamil. Cell phone does not work---oh well...boss can't call me ha ha!

Just got back from a drive to Bunny Flat and a 2 mile hike up the trail---through the snow. Wanted to do Panther Meadow but the road looked a bit too icy for my rental car. Shatsa is out in all its afternoon glory after the fog burned off...amazing views.

Off now to the Black Bear Diner for some lunch. Sushi tonight at KenZen (had udon there last night, just what I needed after a long day travelling---what a great restaurant). I will be posting reviews when I get back. And the B and B, The Dream Inn, is wonderful too!

I head tomorrow to McCloud and a hike up to the falls. Then back to LA in the evening.

I am SO GLAD I came up here. Wow! What an incredible place....hope it does not get overly touristed...but I supsect that as it is harder to get to (quite a drive from the Bay Area, or a flight to Medford) maybe it will stay unspoiled for a little longer.... :)