We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mount Shastha in november

Bangalore, India
9 posts
Save Topic
mount Shastha in november

hi everyone,

Am making some last minute plans for my first marriage anniversary and thinking of going over to My shastha- few questions which I have in mind for who have traveled before

is it good to visit in November? Actually am planning for this Friday?

can I see the snow capped mountains?

can I do snowtubing this time of year?

what other activities I can do over there?

am planning for 2 days trip from san Jose

all it suggestions are welcome.

-Vinay

N California
Level Contributor
506 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mount Shastha in november

Lake Tahoe (or Yosemite) is a much more common weekend trip from San Jose; it is closer, more scenic, and there is more to do.

All the high mountains should have some snow at this point, though Mt Shasta retains snow at the peak year round. If the weather is clear, Mt Shasta is quite scenic as you approach; it stands out much more than the typical peak in a mountain range.

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mount Shastha in november

There isn't tubing in the Sierra Nevada, except where they are making snow--NorthStar in Truckee/Tahoe for example. Mt Shasta itself is going to be covered in snow & you could probably drive up toward the peak bringing your own tubes (your hotel should be able to give you details).

Mt Shasta has an outdoor skating rink. It looks as if it's open (click on their facebook page): http://msrec.org/siskiyou-ice-rink/

Mt Shasta is a great little town for walking around & exploring shops.

You might head up to Ashland OR (75 miles~1 hour+) away. Mt Ashland Ski park has a nice base of snow already, but I don't think they have tubing.

You might also take a drive to Lassen National Volcanic Park (85 miles) The road is open still (it closed for a bit after that first snow we had). There will be snow on Lassen.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Mount+Shasta,+CA&daddr=lassen+national+volcanic+park&hl=en&sll=41.31259,-122.312875&sspn=0.009429,0.01929&geocode=FbNWdgIdWbC1-ClBCAIl0-DNVDEHhkvIAS1qjg%3BFco7bQId9gnE-CF8O1EX0BICNQ&vpsrc=0&mra=ls&t=m&z=9

You don't mention hiking, but Castle Crags near Mt Shasta is a great hike--climbing type hike, but not extreme.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,043 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mount Shastha in november

If conditions are what they claim they should be this weekend you may get snow just up your road on Mount Hamilton for a little snow tubing :-)

But the previous poster is right you may want to go closer to lake tahoe With possibly chains this weekend

Bangalore, India
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: mount Shastha in november

Hey Guys,

Thanks a lot for your response. Just saw this weather alert

weather.com/weather/…

and sadly it doesnt seem gloomy :-( Will have to plan for another week. May be not this winter. Will keep you posted.

-Vinay

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mount Shastha in november

Yes, it's going to snow in the mountains and rain in the valley & coast. Perfect weather for snuggling by the fireplace(;

I hope you have a nice anniversary whatever you decide.

Stockton, California
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: mount Shastha in november

hai everyone,

what is the best time to go to mount shasta.this weekned is good for going.

please give your suggestions

thankyou

shivasai

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mount Shastha in november

Hi Sujana_anne, welcome to TripAdvisor. Please go ahead and post as a new topic. You'll get more responses & this thread will stay on topic and related to the OP.

Please let us know what you would like to do in Mt Shasta. Not much snow yet.

8. Re: mount Shastha in november

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2012, 10:17