We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Mt. Shasta from Vancouver, BC

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Visiting Mt. Shasta from Vancouver, BC

Hi guys!

My family and I are planning our first ever road trip to Mt. Shasta and would really appreciate some guidance & tips.

So far, all we've decided is that we'd follow i5 the whole way, stopping for one night in Portland. We'd appreciate hotel recommendations (both in Portland and Mt. Shasta), tour guide suggestions (for going into the park), and any general suggestions about things to watch out for and anything else that may come to mind.

Thanks!!!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
58,908 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Mt. Shasta from Vancouver, BC

Folks on the Portland forum can help you with that night, but unless you want to see the city, I'd recommend traveling further. For longish drives like this, I try to make the first day longer than the second. Can you make it to Salem or even Eugene?

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Mt. Shasta from Vancouver, BC

For a Portland hotel, you'll really need to post on the Portland forum. Make sure and tell people what part of Portland you want to stay in and your budget, along with how many people and how many rooms you need.

Take a look at the FAQs on each forum page, especially the green horizontal stripe at the top. Start with: "Things To Do" and then "Hotels" and "Restaurants"

Also, be more specific in your questions. "and any general suggestions about things to watch out for and anything else that may come to mind" doesn't really lend itself to a helpful answer. Thanks and Good Luck. Chuck...

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Mt. Shasta from Vancouver, BC

Haha yeah, I guess that was pretty vague.

So it'll be my parents plus myself going on our first ever "long" roadtrip. The parents really want to see Mount Shasta up close, but they're not really climbers, nor do they fare well as hikers. The most "hiking" they've done is walking a couple of miles on flat, nicely-kept trails inside local regional parks.

@PacificNWFamily I can drive longer to get to Salem or Eugene, but which one would you recommend, and why?

In general, I'm pretty much at a loss once I get to Mount Shasta. I'm thinking that I'll stay at the Best Western Plus hotel in the town, but once I'm there, how do I visit the mountain itself? Are there local tour groups for this?

My parents want to spend up to a whole week at Mount Shasta...what is there to do there? They don't go clubbing; they just want to kick back and relax and enjoy the scenery..

Thanks!!!

Edited: 18 June 2012, 06:07
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,072 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Mt. Shasta from Vancouver, BC

I don't know how close you can get to the mountain in Mt. Shasta the town, and if your parents are not into climbing, then would the great view suffice? But it is a very small town and I can't think what one would do there for a week.

It is heavily into New Age....crystals, mysticism, etc. if that is your parents' vibe, which from what you say, I am doubting.

The main street is charming, and there are several small places to eat which look interesting. You will also find 'inspirational' and informative pamphlets and handouts everywhere.

Actually, if your parents really want to spend a week there, I might splurge and spend it at the Mt. Shasta Resort, which does have some activities to offer and is right at the foot of the mountain, I believe.

http://mountshastaresort.com/

We stayed at the Best Western PlusTree House and it is fine. Whatever you do, don't eat at the Black Bear Diner.

Good Luck.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,072 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Mt. Shasta from Vancouver, BC

PS

On the Mt. Shasta Resort Website there is a listing of 'outdoor activities'. Click on the brown bar and you will get some ideas of things to do in the area.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Mt. Shasta from Vancouver, BC

We got a list of sites to visit from a friend who's been there before (but it's been a while). I'd appreciate some feedback on them, such as how easy they are to get to via car, parking availability, and accessibility (how easy is it to cover on foot).

I'm an amateur photographer, so if there are other sites that are easy to get to by car that are considered "scenic", then by all means, do suggest them. Mostly my parents just like to enjoy the view and do some light hiking.

1) Mount Shasta Headwaters

2) Lake Siskiyou

3) Panther Meadows (listed as closed on some government site?)

4) Bunny Flats

5) Burney Waterfalls

6) Shasta Forestry Land

7) Castle Lake

8) Heart Lake

Thanks so much!!!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,072 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Mt. Shasta from Vancouver, BC

Nice list. I am sure someone will be able to help you with ease of access, etc.

I would definitely keep Burney Falls and that area.

Edited: 18 June 2012, 08:30
London
Level Contributor
949 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Mt. Shasta from Vancouver, BC

How long are you going for ? There are lovely places to stop off at as you drive the oregan coastal road. Astoria. Cannon beach. Newport. Rose burg. Mount S.

Depends on the weather, how about going to crater lake ?

We stayed at the best western tree house at mount S. One night. For us that was enough. There is not a great deal to do in the town there. It's very 'sleepy '. As for a whole week. Ummm I wouldn't

As for Portland. Stay longer ! It's a great place, especially if you like beer and wine ! It is a great place to explore and the people are very friendly AND THERE IS NO SALES TAX.

Hotel Monaco ( kimpton hotel ) was excellent.

Edited: 18 June 2012, 09:03
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Mt. Shasta from Vancouver, BC

Thanks! I will keep Crater Lake in mind for sure.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Mt. Shasta from Vancouver, BC

Yes, visit Crater Lake if you can. It's one of the most beautiful spots in Oregon. The scenery is better on the eastern side of the Cascades unless you are on the Oregon Coast. I always try to avoid I-5 unless I'm in a hurry.

From Crater Lake to Mt. Shasta is about 2.5 hours on Hwy 97. Of course, if you have the time both Ashland and Grant's Pass are worth visiting. Taking a jet boat ride on the Rogue is a lot of fun and whitewater rafting out of Ashland is terrific.