We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Mt. Shasta from Vancouver, BC

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Visiting Mt. Shasta from Vancouver, BC

Hi guys!

My family and I are planning our first ever road trip to Mt. Shasta and would really appreciate some guidance & tips.

So far, all we've decided is that we'd follow i5 the whole way, stopping for one night in Portland. We'd appreciate hotel recommendations (both in Portland and Mt. Shasta), tour guide suggestions (for going into the park), and any general suggestions about things to watch out for and anything else that may come to mind.

Thanks!!!

Rocklin, California
Level Contributor
647 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Visiting Mt. Shasta from Vancouver, BC

By Mt. Shasta headwaters, I assume you mean the headwaters for the Sacramento River, which is in the City Park in Mt. Shasta. I'd say keep Burney Falls, too, and if you wanted to drive a bit farther and make a loop from Mt. Shasta to Burney Falls and then back through Redding to I-5, you could also see Mt. Lassen and do some light hiking there. I'm for Crater Lake, too.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Visiting Mt. Shasta from Vancouver, BC

Thanks for the replies!

I'm getting the impression that a full week is perhaps a bit too long to stay at Mt. Shasta. I might cut it down by two or three days, not including two overnight stays at Eugene.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
237 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Visiting Mt. Shasta from Vancouver, BC

We have stayed at the "Rivers Edge" Hotel in Portland. We will certainly stay there again. It is in a great location, the hotel restaurant is good and the staff excellent.

K S
Auburn, California
Level Contributor
190 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Visiting Mt. Shasta from Vancouver, BC

Used to live in Redding, there's really quite a bit to see in the area. Mt Shasta is a small town with a charming main street good for strolling & window shopping. City Park with the Sacramento River headwaters is very pretty and nice for a picnic. You can drive up the Everitt Memorial Hwy which will take you to the old Mt Shasta Ski bowl and is a pretty drive (not very long). Next day head down Hwy 89 through McCloud to Lassen Park for a scenic drive, visit the Park's new interesting visitor center & beautiful Manzanita Lake. On the way back, visit subway caves, then stop off at Hat Creek Rim (near Cassel) to watch the hang gliders (usually launching around 5-6 pm), you may even catch sight of my husband in the air! A very short side trip into Burney Falls off Hwy 89 is a beautiful sight. There is a trail to the bottom of the falls. This will be a full day of sightseeing, so pack a lunch. Day 3, take the short drive to Lake Siskiyou for a swim or a day at the lakeshore. Day 4 drive down I5 to Redding (about 90 mins) to see the Sundial Bridge & Turtle Bay, then drive to the dam to see the 3 Shastas (Dam, Lake, Mtn) from the Dam overlook. Drive out to Whiskeytown Lake to see where JFK gave one of his last speeches, then stop by Old Shasta (historic old town) for a look-see. There really are many more places to see in the area. And as far as 'seeing' Mt Shasta, you can't escape it, it predominates the landscape in the area & the town of Mt Shasta is nestled right at the base.

Check out the places I've mentioned on Google Earth. They really are worth the visit.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Visiting Mt. Shasta from Vancouver, BC

We lived in Redding for 5 years. but never knew Stormy

My work took me to Mt Shasta and McCloud. I liked town of Mt Shasta, nice downtown.

I think a week in Mt Shasta is a bit much. Though a week in Redding, Lassen, Weaverville, Burney area not too much if you are wiling to do longer day trips from Mt Shasta.. I would consider moving at least once. unless you get a great weekly deal

Edited: 24 June 2012, 00:24
16. Re: Visiting Mt. Shasta from Vancouver, BC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2015, 02:15