We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mount Shasta

London, United...
Level Contributor
606 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Mount Shasta

Hi from the Uk

We have been to California a couple of times but have decided to venture further north this year and carry on into Oregon.

Can anyone please tell me what the Mount Shasta area is like, was thinking of staying at Mount Shasta Resort.

Thanks so much

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mount Shasta

Hi Mumma

Just one word: Fantastic. How long will you be staying?

We were driving from SF to Seattle passing Northern California probably same as you and intented only 1 night but stayed 4 at the end and visited places like Lassen Vulcanic NP, Humboldt Redwood SP, Redwood NP and Shasta of course. Don't know about the resort though.

London, United...
Level Contributor
606 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mount Shasta

Hi, thanks for the info - we are staying 3 nights, where did you stay? Do you know anything about white water rafting (mild rapids) in that area?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mount Shasta

Hi,

Don't know anything about white water rafting. Too yellow I guess.

Look at: www.whitewatertours.com Northern California.

We stayed two nights at the Best Western Hospitality House Motel in Redding and 2 nights at the Best Western Humboldt House Inn in Garberville. No resort area's but good clean accomodation at reasonable prices. From Redding we visited Lassen Vulcanic NP first. Highest point at 10.000 feet and the highway through the park at 7000. Closed in winter. If you're coming from SF(I80/I505/I5) I advice to go from Red Bluff to Lassen to the south entrance first and drive the park to the north. Now you can head for Redding (as we did) or go ca 89 north to Mount Shasta (100 M from Lassen.) The views on Mnt Shasta are astonashing.

We made the "grand loop Redding-Lassen-Mount Shasta-Redding on a very long daytrip, but it was amazing.

After two nights Redding we headed for the Cal .coast first taking ca 299 and 36 to Humboldt Redwoods SP. This is one of the slowest roads in Cal. but very scenic Steep and winding. Fill your tank in Redding! Takes 3 hours to reach Fortune, south of Eureka. We even drove ca 211 along "The Lost Coast" and it was awesome again, no traffic, brillant coast , very rural but it's 70 miles costs us 2.5 hours. Only for the "Die-hards" At the end of the road you enter Humboldt and that makes the whole trip worth while. The Avenue of the Giants has the highest trees in the world, up to 350 ft! And you may do the tourist trap: The Drive through Tree's.

We stayed at Garberville for two nights and drove Eureka, Redwood NP and to Medford Oregon to visit Crater Lake NP and the Three Sisters area later that week.

Two items are essential here: Blue skies and patience.

Tet

London, United...
Level Contributor
606 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mount Shasta

Tet

Thank you so much for all the info and recommendations. Very much appreciated.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mount Shasta

My husband was born and raised in Mt. Shasta. He says the resort is a good place to stay and is close to Lake Siskiyou, a holding lake for the head waters of the Sacramento river.

The Tree House is another good place to stay and is right off I-5. The Shasta area is a must do if your into hiking, fishing, checking out waterfalls, lakes, and geological sights. The head waters of the Sacramento river bubbles up out of volcanic lava tubes in the Mt. Shasta city park. The river is not a rafting river, it is a fly fishing river with acess in Mt. Shasta, and Dunsmuir, six miles south. The McCloud river and town of McCloud are twelve miles east on highway 89. A great area for logging, and train history, with more waterfalls in the Fowlers park area. Your white water rafting will be waiting for you in the Grants Pass area when you get to Oregon.

London, United...
Level Contributor
606 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mount Shasta

Thank you Suzie for all your suggestions which are really helpful.

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,828 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mount Shasta

If you're looking for more of a remote getaway in the Shasta area, I've had the Pit River Lodge in Fall River Mills recommended. It's a 1920's bungalow inn, but they have 4 separate cottages as well as over a dozen rooms. Sounds like very reasonable rates, starting at under $100--can't beat that! I believe they also have a dining room on premises. The Website is www.pitriverlodge.com. A couple of other possibilities if small inns rather than the larger resorts appeal to you: McCloud Hotel on Main St. in McCloud, and the O'Brien Mountain Inn, a B&B at Shasta Lake. For general info. on the area: www.shastacascade.org.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mount Shasta

Mt Shasta and Shasta Lake are about 45 miles apart. If you will be doing most of your sightseeing around the Mt Shasta area your lodging should probably be in Mt Shasta or McCloud.

London, United...
Level Contributor
606 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mount Shasta

Thank you guys for your help. We have decided to book into Mount Shasta Resort as we want to stay in Mount Shasta area - it seems to have good reviews.

I really appreciate your comments and advice, it really does help with the planning.

10. Re: Mount Shasta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 15:17